We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting daughter at UofC Boulder

Which Boulder hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting daughter at UofC Boulder

My daughter will be going to Boulder for 10 months from August as part of her (British) American studies course.I would like to visit, however we will probably have to make two trips as our relatives in Longmont can't put all 5 of us up at once! It would be lovely to visit her at Christmas, but not sure she'll get much time off, plus worried about getting in & out if weather's bad?

Other option would be to go for the Spring break in March, - how easy is it to get from Longmont into Boulder?

Which would be the best time to go? When are the cheapest flights?

If relatives can't put us up, what are the cheapest options in Boulder - it looks pretty expensive! - Would probably be for 1 adult plus either a 13 year old or 17 yo twins.

Thanks.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting daughter at UofC Boulder

The distance between Boulder and Longmont is about 14 km. Both cities have an excellent public transportation system (by US standards) and are part of ther Denver Public Trabnsportation system RTD. They are connected by bus service. See

…rtd-denver.com/schedules/getSchedule.action…

Time of the year: I am sure your daughter will have some free time arouind Christmas Time, Spring Break and conveivably, at the end of the school year in May 2015.

Winter is actually very pretty in Colorado. There are many sunny days between snow fall days. Unfortunately, when these are I cannot say! The best time, as far as weather and her schedule goes, would be right after her school year ends, in May.

We were last Christmas in Boulder (my son lives there). It snowed, on Christmas eve, but thewn cleared up quickly. Since we don't have a maritime climate (like the UK) it doesn't get so bone chilling cold, storms don't last very long and roads and sidewalks get cleared very quick;y. .

As for flights: I find thet the direct flight on BA between LHR and Denver to be very convenient and not more expensive than others. It's the way I fly between Denver and Munich, via LHR. Flights between the UK and Chiocago, with a change of planes m,ight be a bit les expensive. but I wouild avoid Chi caho in the winter like the plague. The Denver airport is big, has many runways and is rarely closed for bad weather.

Lodgings in Boulder and Longmont: Your best bet is very likely on of the motel chains. Check our in Boulder the Best Western (less upscale in the US than Europe), Holiday Inn Express, Quality Inns, Super8 (in Longmont). You probably get a better deal when you book in the UK

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting daughter at UofC Boulder

Thanks Treplow, looks like May might be good, if her visa doesn't run out :) I think the direct flights are better too, thought of hanging around for 5 hours with BORED teens in an airport........ no thanks :)

Arvada, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
932 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting daughter at UofC Boulder

Is she doing something else during Christmas break that will keep her busy? Otherwise they get almost a month off between semesters.

On the s.w. side of Longmont off of Hwy 119 there are a couple of Marriott options. You'd be 10 - 15 minutes from campus. In fact, there is a Residence Inn there that may be a great option.

She will only have a week off for Spring break. I'd opt for coming over Christmas. My sister visited last year and had no issues flying in and out. I wouldn't really worry about that aspect. Frankly, given how this spring has gone you could have the same issues coming over spring break because of weather.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting daughter at UofC Boulder

Thanks skiracermom, was just thinking the weather there is bad at the mo, looks like Christmas might be best if she has that long off, you can only ask relatives to do so much, although they did host her for a month last summer, so they're used to her wacky ways - of course, she assures me she will have found an American boyfriend by then :)

Arvada, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
932 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting daughter at UofC Boulder

Is she living on campus or off next year? During Christmas break services on campus are really limited. As in food wise. I know if students plan to remain on campus over the break they have to get permission as they close down the dorms.

If you stay at a Residence Inn you all will have more room while here and have a kitchen.

Tell her she needs to find a LOCAL boyfriend - not someone from out of state who will split over the break ;-)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,352 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting daughter at UofC Boulder

Have you considered renting a condo/home

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/colorado/front-range/boulder?sort+by=Bedrooms%2fAscending

might well be less than a hotel with much more room.

sorry I cannot make the link work but you can cut and paste.

Edited: 23 April 2013, 22:53
7. Re: Visiting daughter at UofC Boulder

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 05:18