We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun funky good places to eat & enjoy a big b'day weekend?

Which Boulder hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida...
Level Contributor
16 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Fun funky good places to eat & enjoy a big b'day weekend?

Taking my wife to Boulder for her 50th Birthday weekend! So wanted to ask for suggestions for fun, funky local placed with lots of character and good food! She's less into the fine dining jacket & tie scene. Ethnic food is always a plus.

Want to make it a weekend to remember for her. She's always loved Boulder but it's been a few years.

Thanks for all suggestions!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,285 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun funky good places to eat & enjoy a big b'day weekend?

Fun and funky...hmm. My favorite fun and funky place has closed (too bad). Another place that comes to mind is Ras Kassas (Ethiopian food) http://www.raskassas.com/home.html

It's been years since I have eaten there, but they get good reviews here on TA and Yelp tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33324-d38…

The Dushanbe Teahouse is unique and definitely has character:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33324-d38…

Miami, Florida...
Level Contributor
16 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun funky good places to eat & enjoy a big b'day weekend?

Thank you! They both sound like fun! Any good bars with good food?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,285 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun funky good places to eat & enjoy a big b'day weekend?

The West End Tavern at one time was a Boulder "institution" -- where everyone went for happy hour. Decent burgers, pub food (but again, haven't been there in a long time.)

If you like beer, the Mountain Sun has pretty good food as well as beer according to my husband. He says that many of the microbreweries have decent food. (Twisted Pine, Boulder Beer, Fate).

I am not into the bar scene so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun funky good places to eat & enjoy a big b'day weekend?

Well, Boulder is the right place for you!!!

Mountain Suns does have great beer (I love their Annapurna Amber). However, this location is always crowded - if you wanted something a bit quiter, you can head to Southern Sun - or, try their newest venue, a gastropub Under the Sun (located under the Southern Sun)....All of these are cash only, and very fun and funky :-)

There is also Avery Brewing company. Set up like a german beer house, with good beer. Fate Brewing Company is okay.

If you want more upscale or cocktail options, Oak at 14th has delicious food and really nice cocktails.

Centro is another fun gathering place with really good food. West End Tavern. Lazy Dog. The Sink (where Obama had a sandwhich once :-)))

The Kitchen Next Door (note: The Kitchen is a restaurant, the Kitchen Upstairs is a more upscale bar venue, and the Kitchen Next Door is a more low key gastropub option with good food. They are all together, so this can get confusing).

For breakfast/brunch, my two favorites are Arugula and Snooze.

Ethnic food in Boulder isn't the best, in my opinion. Except for the popusas at the Farmer's Market... If you want to make a trek to Broomfield, Azitra is an amazing Indian restaurant (best I've found in Denver/Boulder area in 2 years, I love Indian food)

Miami, Florida...
Level Contributor
16 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun funky good places to eat & enjoy a big b'day weekend?

WOW!! Thank Your for all the details and tips Rasterisha! I get more excited each day we get closer to this trip!

Really appreciate the feedback!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,985 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun funky good places to eat & enjoy a big b'day weekend?

I will go all "old school" as I haven't dined at any newer places, but here's some classic Boulder places of all sorts...not sure if any are what you are looking for, but all are/were fun back in the day!

Old Chicago, The Cork, Pasta Jays, The Dark Horse, Conor O'Neils (used to be the James), Sushi Zanmai, Lucille's (breakfast and lunch only), Catacomb's at Boulderado Hotel (mostly bar), and The Sink mentioned above.

Arvada, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
935 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun funky good places to eat & enjoy a big b'day weekend?

Try The Bitter Bar.

http://www.thebitterbar.com

We really like the food and the drinks are great and unusual.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
51 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun funky good places to eat & enjoy a big b'day weekend?

The Med is great for a gathering. Really awesome tapas menu for happy hour and located downtown so you can stroll down Pearl Street (pedestrian mall) after gorging yourselves on sangria and food :)

http://www.themedboulder.com/

Brasserie Ten Ten is another yummy spot

http://www.brasserietenten.com/

Also, Pizzeria Locale (owned by same people as Frasca) east of the ped mall has really yummy Italian style pizza and a great wine list.

http://localeboulder.com/

Boulder is a pretty casual place but an amazing little anomaly. I hope you enjoy your time here!

Miami, Florida...
Level Contributor
16 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fun funky good places to eat & enjoy a big b'day weekend?

Thank You SparklePanda for the wonderful input!

Would you suggest Frasca for a really nice meal or somewhere else? I'd like to take my wife to one nicer place with multiple courses and wine pairing.

Again thank you for your help!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,285 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fun funky good places to eat & enjoy a big b'day weekend?

Frasca rates #1 in many restaurant surveys, reviews and magazine write ups. 5280 magazine has rated it #1 for the past few years. 5280.com/magazine/2013/10/25-best-restaurants

Definitely not "fun and funky" though. :)