We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid July trip to see several colleges and the Rockies

connecticut
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mid July trip to see several colleges and the Rockies

My husband, three teenagers, and I are traveling to CO to check out the sites, see some colleges, and experience altitude sickness. Hopefully not the last, though. Tentative itinerary: Fly in to Denver July 11, drive to Boulder. Son has an all day visit at UC Boulder Saturday. Rest of us see Boulder. Leave Sunday for Estes Park, stay two nights and see RMNP Sun-Mon. Drive to Fort Collins, visit Colorado State on Tues, stay in Fort Collins Tuesday night. Leave Wed for Colorado Springs (5 hour drive?), explore the area, see Colorado College, stay two nights. Pikes Peak, Garden of Gods on Thursday. Drive to Denver (though my husband wants to get out to the plains in the east) Friday. Fly out Saturday. Whew! Am I crazy or can this be done, be enjoyable, and be relaxing? Thanks for any input.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid July trip to see several colleges and the Rockies

Sure, that can be done. And probably without any altitude sickness whatsoever. You've allowed enough time.

Your drive from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs should only take a couple of hours - definitely not 5. Straight down I-25 is little more than 2 hours unless you plan on making a lot of stops.

Since you are going up Pikes Peak several days into your trip you should be fine.

Curious what your husband wants to see in the eastern plains... ?

Just FYI it's CU Boulder, not UC :)

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid July trip to see several colleges and the Rockies

Allow me to clarify that your travel time to from Ft. Collins to CO Springs also depends on time of day. I-25 is heavily traveled during morning rush hour and there are some construction zones. You may want to check the CDOT website before you set out on your drive: http://cotrip.org/speed.htm http://cotrip.org/roadWork.htm

connecticut
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid July trip to see several colleges and the Rockies

sheepishly, thank you! CU Boulder. got it!

connecticut
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid July trip to see several colleges and the Rockies

Husband wants to see Bent's Fort. Any interesting thing there?

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid July trip to see several colleges and the Rockies

Bent's Fort very interesting and worth a visit. I say that with one big word of caution--HOT!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure it is worth it in mid-July. Think you might enjoy it more on a future visit, if your son decides in going to school on the Front Range.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid July trip to see several colleges and the Rockies

Your trip is certainly doable.

For whatever it's worth...........and I've never been to Bents Fort.........consider taking that last day and just 'chilling out" in Denver. There is lots to see and do.......or nothing.

Have a great trip.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,360 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid July trip to see several colleges and the Rockies

Bents Fort is interesting but a long hot 2 hour drive, but you do drive through Rocky Ford where cantalope comes from. Plus in July biting flies and gnats (I spent a summer near there!)

I would head into the mountains. Boulder, Ft Collins, Co Springs and Denver all NOT in the mountains but at the edge of the mountains. Stay 1 night in Co Springs and then maybe head up to Salida, Buena Vista, Breckenridge, Dillon etc. Cool, pretty and not a big city like all the above are!. Not sure why you would want to get to the plains, hot, flat and not much to do! But not my trip, lol!

8. Re: Mid July trip to see several colleges and the Rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 06:18