We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer activities in between breck and denver

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
500 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
summer activities in between breck and denver

We will be leaving Breckenridge on a sunday and have to be in Denver to catch flight by 3:30 (flight is at 5:00) in July 2007. I have a TON of activities planned for while we are there from horseback riding to jeeping to mine tours, etc., for our family. However, that last day I am at loss as to what to do fun that would only take half a day and allow us to make it to the airport on time for our flight home. Do you have any suggestions for things to do in towns between Breckenridge and Denver, i.e., Georgetown, Frisco, etc.?

Any suggestions would be great.

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: summer activities in between breck and denver

Depending on what time you leave Breck for Denver you may be able to get in a dive up Mount Evans (highest paved road in the US). Get off I-70 in Idaho Springs and drive up, then come back down through Evergreen.

There's also Buffalo Bill's grave and Lookout Mountain. Mother Cabrini Shrine also on lookout mountain.

Shopping at the outlets in Silverthorne, shopping once you hit Denver.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: summer activities in between breck and denver

I second what the previous poster said. A drive up Mnt. Evans is well worth it, it's a beautiful drive! I'm also a big fan of the outlet mall in Silverthorne, but I'm a woman who loves to shop, your family might not want to stop for that. Definitely head up Mnt. Evans,but make sure to give yourself plenty of time to take in all the views from the top!

Breckenridge, CO
Level Contributor
893 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: summer activities in between breck and denver

I'd take a look at renting a pontoon boat on Lake Dillon for an early morning cruise around the lake and finish with lunch on the lakeshore or the boat before you head back down. Not too strenuous somegreat views to keep in your memories, too!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,612 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: summer activities in between breck and denver

Yes you do need to go out on Lake Dillon while you are here. Also think about the train at Georgetown. http://www.gtownloop.com/

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,612 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: summer activities in between breck and denver

oops wrong link. I cannot find the new one. The train does still run though.

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
500 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: summer activities in between breck and denver

thank you all for the input -

if we went up the moutain - how long will it take? (so i can get a good feel for maintaining travel time to airport.

pontoon rental on lake dillon also sounds fun - choices, choices :) ... i LOVE colorado ! :)

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
500 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: summer activities in between breck and denver

ONE MORE QUESTION :)

if driving up mount evans - we are renting a car - will it be driveable in a regular car -- any scary passes/drop offs?

we drove up to ouray from silverton last year and that was SO scary - but so much fun !! We loved it !

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: summer activities in between breck and denver

It's been a LONG time since I've made the drive so I can't remember exactly off the top of my head. There is good information here though:http://www.coloradodirectory.com/maps/evans.html

It is steeper than the drive up Pikes Peak, but it's a very cool drive and worth the thrills. If you go up in the morning you have a good chance of seeing Mountain Goats right off the road.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: summer activities in between breck and denver

I live in Breckenridge and drive or ride the area often.

The road is actually more windy from Idaho Springs to Echo Lake, than from the lake up to Mt Evans. The Cafe at Echo lake is a good stop for a drink. This is the point where you will turn up (south) to drive to the peak. You will pass a ranger station and must pay a small fee to drive the road to the top - it is well worth it. In July you may have cyclists on the road next to you, but your speed should be slow anyway to enjoy the view and you should be just fine. Be aware that there are frequent afternoon thunder storms in July and it is often COLD on the mountain (even in July).

You have 2 options to return to Denver - 1) return to Idaho Springs and onto I-70 East again (must faster), 2) take the windy and filled with cyclists or motorcyclists road over Squaw Pass (much longer 18miles and rutted with pot holes). Allow another hour+ if you do squaw pass to Evergreen. And please be careful of the cyclists on the road.

This is the route of the famous Triple Bypass bike ride (this year it will be on Saturday July 14th, 2007) - and the road will be totally closed.

If this is the day you are traveling, you might look at these areas: 1) rent a bike and ride arond part of Lake Dillon, 2) rent boats or kayaks and tour on lake Dillon, and on the I-70 route to Denver East: 3) visit Mt Greys & Mt Torreys area to hike, 4) visit Georgetown & drive to Bierstadt/Torreys area to hike, 5) visit St Mary's Glacier area to hike, 6) view the buffalo and Buffalo Bill's grave just before Golden, CO.

Enjoy Breck! July is beautiful here.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: summer activities in between breck and denver

I meant the road was winding. But it can also be quite windy.

Have fun.

Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge