We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite family friendly restaurant - Breckenridge

Naples, FL
Level Contributor
53 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite family friendly restaurant - Breckenridge

Planning a summer trip in August. What restaurants can you recommend for a family....nothing fancy! Thank you!

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite family friendly restaurant - Breckenridge

Fatty's...mmmm the BEST pizza! I went there all the time as a kid when we went to Breck and I still go there as an adult and I just love it! The atmosphere is great, wonderful staff and fabulous Italian food that won't break the bank.

www.fattyspizzeria.com

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite family friendly restaurant - Breckenridge

My kids always liked Mi Casa, Eric's. There are many others. Do a TA Break search on restaurants to find more info.

BTW despite all the rave reviews my kids never liked Fatty's pizza.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite family friendly restaurant - Breckenridge

Just returned within the hour from a weekend in Breck with the family (kids 10 & 11, with a 19-yr-old relative from Germany). Great weekend, but glad to back to familiar bed in an airconditioned room (it was HOT at our hotel room!)

We were looking forward to a meal at Horseshoe II, rated the best family restaurant in Summit County at one time.. alas, it is no more and its replacement, Modis, is not really a family option. So we wandered up Main St. to the MotherLoaded Tavern, which is a new restaurant where the St. Bernard used to be (so I'm told) - corner of Main St. and Ski Hill Road. What a hoot this place is, and a great family restaurant, at least earlier in the evening. Their motto is, "The best and worst of Americana." They had a black velvet Elvis on the wall and the requisite antique store knickknacks and photos on the wall. Real "American" food menu with meat "steak" (instead of meatloaf - delicious!), mac and cheese, ribs, sandwiches, kids' menu... extensive and appealing array of comfort food. If you let the kids talk you into ordering a Fried Twinkie for dessert like mine did, be aware that the sugar high lasts quite a while and the owners can't be held responsible for delayed bedtimes! Service was quite friendly and efficient, full bar for mom and dad and live music later on if the kids can be ditched so the parents can go out for nightcap!

The second night, we went to Fatty's which seems to be a perrennial Breck fave. Pizza is the speciality, but they also have other traditional, but limitied, Italian items like lasagne and fettucine al fredo. Pizza was good, lasagne was good - not the best in the world, but it worked for the kids. We did end up sitting at a hightop in the bar area and I wasn't sure if there were other seating options. It was on the late side and the bar was getting a little rowdy. No problem for my family, but it could be for others with younger kids.

Good breakfasts to be had at Columbine Cafe and Gold Pan Saloon. We were going to eat again at Columbine on Sun. morning, but the wait was 45 minutes at 9:00 am. Wandered down to Gold Pan which had a great breakfast menu with huge pancakes and french toast, eggs benedict and the usual offerings. Had the same friendly waiter as at the Motherloaded! Had to wait about 15 minutes, in the adjoining bar area - once again, not a problem, but might not work for everyone (no rowdies at that early hour! LOL)

There are just a ton of restaurant options up and down Main St. in Breck and the block or two up the hill... it's nice to have a list, but it doesn't always work, so just see what else is next door!

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite family friendly restaurant - Breckenridge

If you venture out of Breck, or on you way in/out, check out Back Country Brewery in Frisco, about 9 miles north of Breck and right on the corner of Main & Hwy 9. Excellent menu upstairs and it is family friendly. Downstairs is more casual, pizza & burgers. I have never eaten downstairs. Upstairs, the fish tacos are the best I have ever had. They have a great salad bar, which includes baked potatoes and soup. The menu has a good selection and everything I have tried (including sampling off the plates of those dining with me) has been excellent.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
674 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite family friendly restaurant - Breckenridge

For breakfast, all of the locals go to Daylight donuts. I know, it doesn't sound like a place to get anything but pastries, but they have a very nice pancake, sausage, egg deal for 3.99. We ended up going there every morning last December. If you have a chance to catch the shuttle, go for lunch at Butterhorns in Frisco. They just have incredible soups and a wonderful Reuben. The Log Cabin there is pretty good for breakfast too. I am pretty picky about Mexican food but think that Mi Casa does a good job and is very family friendly, if you are not in the bar area where the skiers hang out, but it is fun!! I would stay away from MIchaels, as they are pricey for just average Italian. You might like Quandry for lunch, as they have a nice place to sit outside and look at the scenery. The dinnertime restaurants can really get expensive so beware of that. We like to go to Hearthstone, but we are regulars in this town, and do go there because of the ambience, the food is just fine. Nothing that would blow your mind for the price. If you are staying in a place with a kitchen, then City Market is a nice option for groceries and also prepared foods that you can take for a picnic.

Breckenridge
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite family friendly restaurant - Breckenridge

I always take my family to Empire Burger for lunch or dinner, they also like Giampietros for Pizza and Italian, Wasabi is good at lunch for Asian, and Jalapenos for Mexican

Hickman, Nebraska
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite family friendly restaurant - Breckenridge

You can't go wrong with Mi Casa or Giampietros or Wasabi. MMM, I can't wait until I'm back this winter.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite family friendly restaurant - Breckenridge

Just back from a week in Breckenridge with 2 kids (ages 12 and 13). We ate in a variety of places but for a good casual place with good food, we liked Erics the best. Good pizza and chili. Daylight Donunts was great local place for a good and cheap breakfast (more than donuts). Also visited Micheals (Italian; so so) and Hearthstone (nice place; food not up to the price). Don't get Chinese at as place with a name ending in Toyko (go figure...I should have).

9. Re: Favorite family friendly restaurant - Breckenridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 16:16