We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breckenridge Vs. Snowmass

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Breckenridge Vs. Snowmass

We are strong intermediate skiers and are trying to decide between the two (Breckenridge vs. Snowmass) for our anual one week vacation. I have heard that Breck is to much for beginners. Any advice

Bill

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Breckenridge Vs. Snowmass

"I have heard that Breck is to much for beginners" needs to be clarified. Breck is a good place for beginners to learn, especially on lower Peak 9, but there are plenty of runs for strong intermediate skiers to ski for a week. There are some serious steeps a top Peak 7, 8. Also, if buy a 5 day pass (go Peaks to save $) you can ski Vail for 2 days. Together these resorts will wear you down.

However, Snowmass has its advantages . . .you ski there plus Aspen Mtn and the Highlands on same ticket. You've got a tough choice to make. Some minuses for Aspen are costs are higher and travel time is longer, but great views, great eats, great snow.

go to snow.com for Breck, Vail

go to aspensnowmass.com for Aspen + 4

Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breckenridge Vs. Snowmass

I agree with the post above. Also, what are your priorities for this trip? Cost, convenience, scenery, luxury, etc?

Snowmass will cost more, but won't be as crowded, and really is worth a visit. Snowmass is one of my favorite mountains due to the wide open runs, and the tendency to be less crowded than the resorts on the I-70 corridor.

Breck is much more conveniently located, with less expensive lift tickets and lodging. The town is really fun, with many options for dining and nightlife. There is an outlet mall in nearby Silverthorne, and downtown Breck has some great shopping as well, if that is something you're into.

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breckenridge Vs. Snowmass

I admit to being a little prejudice since I pretty much ski Snowmass exclusively. However, I have skied Breck several times and this last spring break, I had 3 college to early 30's age kids visiting for spring break who prefer Breck to Snowmass.

My questions are what time of year do you plan to visit and what is the age group/interest?

Breck definitely had more of a party environment going on during Spring Break (at the resort), which raised it's rankings with the kids. Tickets were only about $8 or so cheaper than Snowmass and it was definitely more crowded. Holidays bring out a lot of people for all resorts, but because of it's proximity to Denver, Beck seems to get more people. Lodging does seem to be less expensive in Breck, but I don't think the food is any cheaper.

During my visits to Breck, it seemed a bit windier than Snowmass, although we had several days last winter that were unusually windy. Snomass has some great open runs and plenty of expert runs, and as the previous post said, you get the choice of 3 other mountains to ski on. You can even change mountains in the middle of the day and use the same ticket.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breckenridge Vs. Snowmass

Brecken-FRIDGE...brrrrr! :)

You also have free service between all four mountains in the daytime. At night bus service is $3 pp each way between Aspen and Snowmass. There are a number of casual and fine dining restaurants in Snowmass as well as bars, but if you want more you will find plenty in Aspen.

Breckenridge, CO
Level Contributor
708 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breckenridge Vs. Snowmass

Breck has a huge variety of beginner and intermediate terrain. I would not avoid coming here if that is your main concern.

I think both resorts would suit your needs just fine. Breck has a ton of snowmaking, and if you are coming early season that may be a factor you need to consider. If you are coming deeper into the season, than probably not an issue.

6. Re: Breckenridge Vs. Snowmass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 10:17