We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Denver

Perth
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Denver

I will be in denver from Jan 14 -16 with my 12 and 15 yr old daughters, please advise on most suitable areas, accomodation apart from Denver - also aside from skiing, (2 days are too little to invest in learning to ski) what are some other snow ventures the kids can undertake. Thanks

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
670 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Denver

Perth,

Can you please provide a little more information about your plans? You say you'll be in Denver, but posted your question in the Breckenridge forum -- are you planning on visiting Breckenridge in addition to Denver, or did you post in that section by accident?

You asked about snow ventures other than skiing. If you are planning on playing in the snow, there is no guarantee that there will be any snow in Denver itself, but certainly you will find lots of snow in Breckenridge and many other mountain areas.

If you can clarify your question a bit, I'm sure people on this forum will jump in with great suggestions.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Denver

Hi, Perth, I'll toss an idea out for you to consider since you are not interested in skiing. We live in Evergreen, in the foothills about 35 miles west of Denver. Evergreen has a quaint main street area with shops, galleries, restaurants, etc. At one end of main st is a very nice, award winning (see its website for details) B&B, the Highland Haven Creekside Inn, think it's www.highlandhaven.com. It's set on a mountain stream, usually lots of elk meandering around.

At the other end of main st is Evergreen Lake, (walking distance) with wonderful ice skating. There is a log lodge at the lake with skate rentals, hot chocolate etc. There are also thousands of acres of open space park land in Evergreen for hikes of all levels for enjoying the snow.

We woke up to about 8" of snow here this morning, and it's supposed to snow all day.

Have fun wherever you end up!

Perth
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Denver

Just to clarify - we will be landing in Denver International on January 14 for 2 days - weather permitting we would prefer to drive to one of the places that would offer some snow - any suggestions would be great.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Denver

You can always stay at a ski area and not ski. Since you are on the Breckenridge forum, have you thought of coming to Breckenridge? There will certainly be snow there that weekend, and plenty of non-skiing snow activities, such as ice skating, etc. The mountain views in Breckenridge are outstanding. I think there are sleigh rides in Breck, too but not positive. Breckenridge is about 1.5 hours from Denver and shuttles are available from the airport if you don't want to hassle with the drive. One of my favorite other snow activities is sitting in the hot tub outside and taking in the views. =) IMHO Breck is great for that activity!

Perth
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Denver

Thanks Brekenridge sounds goods, - any advice on accomodation and car hire.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in Denver

What's your budget? I haven't spent the night in Breckenridge in many years, but there is a newer resort there called Mountain Thunder Lodge which has had overall good reviews. It's centrally located and a short walk to downtown Breckenridge. Check the reviews of the hotels/resorts here on TA to narrow your choices. As far as car hire is concerned, there are the standard choices at the Denver airport, Alamo, Thrifty, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, Avis. You can also use a shuttle. Colorado Mountain Express seems to be a popular choice for the airport commute to Breck. Although this has been debated on the forums, if you choose to rent a car, in January you may want to consider renting an all-wheel-drive car, as the commute can be dicey if the weather is bad. That's why many choose the shuttle.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in Denver

if you've got the $$ for Mtn Thunder check out the brand new BlueSky at http://www.blueskybreckenridge.com/.

Scottsdale, AZ
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days in Denver

I stayed with my girls, 5 and 9, at the Beaver Run Resort -- right in the Village at Breck -- central to everything in Breck . Our room/suite was amazing -- overlooking one of the runs, ski in/ski out, w/ unique in-room jacuzzi tub "room" (be sure to pull the curtains so the skiers don't get a show!), kitchenette, sleeper sofa in tv/living/dining room area -- where we ate lunch 1/2 way through skiing one day and then lounged to watch movies -- order room service/pizza delivery (on-site in deli) another night. And, also with fabulous addt'l resort amenities that include a heated indoor/outdoor heated pool (where you can swim from the inside pool to the outside of pool by maneuvering under/through plastic partitions-- cool steam/unique!), a putt putt course (kinda run down/needs rennovation/not impressive, but still unique and girls got kick out of it), gameroom/tables, two (?) restaurant(s) -- the formal one was under rennovation when we were here last year, on-site concierge, deli/store where tables are filled with skiers -- busy hub of people and gr8 place to people watch -- even if you're not skiing! Underground parking, nice/helpful front desk staff, perfect location. My top pick in Breck (for families), hands down.

Perth
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days in Denver

Thank you to all who contributed to my post - just returned from our USA trip - it was absolutely fantastic - we stayed at Estes park - the Woodlands - I will recommend this resort anytime - the reception was great - the place was covered in snow, drove to the National park - did a bit of snowshoeing - the kids loved it - after a week long of being in New York, this was just the place to unwind.

10. Re: 2 days in Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge