We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alttitude sickness

panama city, florida
Level Contributor
110 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Alttitude sickness

Any recommendations for alttitude sickness and even people with sinus problems. We will be coming from Florida and the alttitude change and cold weather raises some concern with being comfortable.

bq
Albany, Georgia
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alttitude sickness

If you do a search on this forum you will find much info about altitude sickness. I personally had it the first year we went to Breck and wound up at the clinic and a $400 bill! My Dr. prescribes Diamox for me now before I go and I take it a couple days before I leave and I have been fine. I also drink a lot of water to stay hydrated.

Have fun!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,199 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alttitude sickness

You probably won't have a problem if you stay hydrated and don't overdo it. My 85 year old mother visits from Florida and has never had problems.

But better safe than sorry! Besides doing a search on this forum (there have been several recent discussions) you might want to read the info on this website:

familydoctor.org/online/…247.html

florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alttitude sickness

We are from Florida as well and spent 1 week in Colorado last fall, we spent a night in Boulder before heading up to the higher altitudes. From there we headed to Estes Park, Steamboat, Breckenridge and Avon. We hiked a lot, and were pretty active at high elevations and none of us had any problems. My advice is stay hydrated, and stay lower the first day or two until you get used to the altitude. I will say we were fatigued easier than at sea level though, don't try to over do it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
875 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alttitude sickness

A couple of other tips to deal with the dry air: get some bottled "tears" (eye drops) to help with the dry sinus problem. My daughter puts vasaline in her nose when she goes to sleep (!!) to help with breathing. Drink lots of water, avoid alcohol and caffeine, take asprin, SUNSCREEN, moisturizer....

Most hotels and condos have humidifiers. Be sure to use them.

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alttitude sickness

You can also buy a saline nose spray that helps with the dry nose. As for altitude sickness...water water water. You are in a dry climate, high altitude, breathing dry air. Often, you are breathing thru your mouth because you are winded as a result of the altitude. My suggestions, use a water bottle so you know how much water you are drinking. Drink a minimum of 64 oz and more won't hurt. Start drinking water before you get here. No caffine or alcohol. Know the symptoms. Headache, dizzy or nausea are all signs. Don't keep pushing yourself, at the point you start to feel any of these symptoms you need to halt activities and start pushing water. As a local, I have personally experienced this because of my own stupidity (holiday rush, coffee, cold drinks, wine with dinner, more coffee the next morning and skiing, not good). It is amazing how easy it is to forget the water.

6. Re: Alttitude sickness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 20:17