We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to plan an inexpensive, small destination wedding

Oklahoma
1 post
Save Topic
Trying to plan an inexpensive, small destination wedding

Hey I am from Oklahoma my future husband and I have decided to skip out on the big expensive, last 2 hours for 15,000 wedding and head to Colorado with a few family and friends and enjoy ourselves! We are wanting to do something small and personal... we are shooting for spring break '10 so we can still skii and snowboard. We would like to do it close to the mountains, at a resort, ect.... please help all I can find is over priced venues....

Mentioned in this post
Oklahoma
Oklahoma
United States
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
667 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to plan an inexpensive, small destination wedding

To be honest, almost any place in Breck is super expensive for weddings. I work in the wedding industry and have never seen a nice and affordable place to get married in Breck or Summit county, they are all pretty expensive. You might want to look into renting a house on www.vrbo.com and just do everything there, it would probably save you lots of money!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to plan an inexpensive, small destination wedding

I think ReBecki's idea of renting a house is absolutely perfect. You could get a gorgeous home with a beautiful fireplace, big windows overlooking some gorgeous views, and just hire someone to do the service. Actually, in Colorado all you have to do is state your marriage - you do not need a formal person to do the service. ...at least you use to - better check current rules.

Another cheesy, but fun, idea is get married at Loveland on Valentine's day. They have a big special marriage day and then all the newly weds ski down the mountain afterward - always a fun time, google some images - too funny!

Are you interested in an outside ceremony? There are some lovely spots around town and then you could go to a private room in a nice restaurant.

Another idea - Breckenridge Lodge and Spa has a fantastic deck overlooking the Breck valley and ski mountain (check the website for pics), then you could have dinner at Top of the World Restaurant, which is suppose to be very good with good views (have not eaten there since they reopened).

If you want low, low budget then there are lots of other options. What kind of budget are you thinking?

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Loveland
Loveland
Colorado
The Lodge at Breckenridge
The Lodge at Breckenridge
828 Reviews
Breckenridge, CO
Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to plan an inexpensive, small destination wedding

We tried to do the wedding in Breck thing last year but is just wasnt going to happen. (Got married on 4/4/09). We originally planned on getting married at a country club here in Gainesville but it would have ended up costing somewhere around $35-45K when all was said and done. We then decided since we were going to Honeymooon in Breck and that all of our families love the place that we would do it there around the same time (somewhere between 4/3/09 and 4/13/09). Wrong. It was going to cost even more to do it in Breck we found out. There was alot of stuff going on that time of year (Spring Massive, final weeks of the ski season, great weather, etc.) and everyone we talked to had all very valid reasons for the prices that they were quoteing us. As much as we would have liked it, my wife and I couldnt see spending $50k for a couple hours of an event (even if it was on film and photos). We've been together long enough to know what we were getting and we were more excited to just finally make it offical and start the honeymoon. We did what millions of others do every year. We went to Vegas and brought our friends and family's with us. As cheesey as Vegas weddings sound The Flamingo Hotel helped us put on an amazing ceremony. The Garden Chapel at the hotel was awesome. Our room was over the top nice. Everyone had a great time partying the night before, the night of and the night after. Everyone said it was by far the best wedding they ever attended. That's exactly what we wanted! Best of all, the whole weekend there with services and the reception dinner was only like $10k at the most. We saved a fortune doing that and had a blast at the same time.

Good luck with your decisions and Congrats on the wedding. Try not to let the whole planning thing drive you nuts. I know it practicly drove my wife and I over the edge a couple of times.

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Trying to plan an inexpensive, small destination wedding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 December 2009, 00:35
Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to plan an inexpensive, small destination wedding

My wife and I got married at Shadows Ranch http://www.shadowsranch.com in Georgetown, CO and it was absolutely amazing! It wasn't "cheap" but it wasn't anywhere near what the resorts (keystone & breck) were charging. We also rented an 8 bed/8 bath, 8000 sq/ft home in Silverthorne for many of our guests to stay at. The big house was a great choice and was very affordable given the amount of people who stayed in the house. Renting a home to have teh wedding at is a great idea, but keep in mind many homes for rent do not allow weddings or receptions at them. Our reason for the Colorado wedding was we wanted to invite everyone 300+ but we knew not everyone would be able to make the trip. We have about 75 and it was perfect and amazing. Good luck!

As a an interesting side note, we bought our condo www.snodallion24.com in Breck, on our honeymoon! That made the the wedding a bit more expensive!

Mentioned in this post
Georgetown
Georgetown
Colorado
Colorado
Colorado
United States
6. Re: Trying to plan an inexpensive, small destination wedding

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 December 2009, 00:05
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,126 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to plan an inexpensive, small destination wedding

Someone dug up an old post to promote whatever and soon others followed suit....

8. Re: Trying to plan an inexpensive, small destination wedding

Removed on: 31 December 2009, 00:05
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,126 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to plan an inexpensive, small destination wedding

I was curious about Ember, but all these spam posts makes me wonder.....

Mentioned in this post
Ember
Ember
949 Reviews
Breckenridge, CO
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trying to plan an inexpensive, small destination wedding

I'm with you Alli, these 1-up promotional posts are suspect. I suggest these posters add Ember to the restaurant list on TripAdvisor and allow Ember customers to post reviews.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g33327-Breckenri…

Mentioned in this post
Ember
Ember
949 Reviews
Breckenridge, CO