We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loveland Pass?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Loveland Pass?

I see that there is hiking at Loveland Pass. I also noticed that we can take Loveland Pass and loop around to the hiking area?? Does that make since? We are coming from Denver. Is driving the loveland pass loop worth the extra time? Would the Loveland Pass hike be worht it? Want to to be above the mountains and have awesome views, water falls would be a plus.

We will be ating lunch somehwere along this route, any suggestions?? any places to avoid?? We do like mom and pop type places, local places to eat.

Thanks!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,834 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loveland Pass?

"I see that there is hiking at Loveland Pass. I also noticed that we can take Loveland Pass and loop around to the hiking area?? Does that make since? "

Sorry no, it does not make sense to me?

On your other post you said that you wanted to go from Denver over the Continental Divide to CO Springs. On Google maps if you go 1/70 over Loveland Pass to Keystone, then Swan Mtn to Breckenridge, through Fairplay to Hartsel to Co Springs it says a little over 200 miles / 4 hours. Was this your plan?

We often get storms in the afternoon and you'd not want to be above treeline at that time. I'd plan accordingly.

Awesome views are everywhere. Water falls, not so much unless we get some rain. Most of the snow has melted.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loveland Pass?

On your other post you said that you wanted to go from Denver over the Continental Divide to CO Springs. On Google maps if you go 1/70 over Loveland Pass to Keystone, then Swan Mtn to Breckenridge, through Fairplay to Hartsel to Co Springs it says a little over 200 miles / 4 hours. Was this your plan?

Yes the above is our plan......we are in no big hurry to get to the Springs and we love going thru the mountains. We are leaving Denver by (am at the latest. So is Loveland Pass a good palce to hike?

What about a palce to eat around in that area??

Thanks

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,834 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loveland Pass?

Hiking at Loveland Pass will put you above tree-line. The views are stunning but you'd want to do it earlier in the day. No water though.

I'd go with my earlier idea of hiking at Keystone. It would be easy to find, Not take too much out of the day. Plus again the Gondola is kind of fun. You would park at the River Run area and walk through the village. The views are great, though again no water.

You could then continue on your way over Swan Mtn road to Breck. On the way you will pass Sapphire Point. A pretty and very short hike that has great views of Lake Dillon, maybe a 20 min very flat hike. Then to Breck for lunch. Any number of places. Fatty's, Angles Hollow, Empire Burger.

Then work your way south.

You got good information on this previous post on other places on the way.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k36390…

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loveland Pass?

Hiking at Loveland Pass will put you above tree-line. The views are stunning but you'd want to do it earlier in the day. No water though.

I'd go with my earlier idea of hiking at Keystone. It would be easy to find, Not take too much out of the day. Plus again the Gondola is kind of fun. You would park at the River Run area and walk through the village. The views are great, though again no water.

You could then continue on your way over Swan Mtn road to Breck. On the way you will pass Sapphire Point. A pretty and very short hike that has great views of Lake Dillon, maybe a 20 min very flat hike. Then to Breck for lunch. Any number of places. Fatty's, Angles Hollow, Empire Burger.

Then work your way south.

You got good information on this previous post on other places on the way

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k36390

The gondola is a 2 hour ride, isnt it?? We would like to be in the Springs by dinner time or so. Is there something wrong with hiking Loveland Pass?? Just asking for opinions here....................thanks everyone

Edited: 23 June 2010, 01:03
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,834 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loveland Pass?

No the Gondola is only about 11 min ride each way. What I meant on my earlier post is the total time is about 2 hours or less.

Edited: 23 June 2010, 15:25
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loveland Pass?

Where can I get more info on the hike at Keystone? Its not lsited with the rest of the hikes that I have from Summit county. Also, what is open inthe village? Shops, places to eat,??

And has anyone hiked Loveland Pass?? I realize doing any hikes inthe afternoon will be iffy, depending on weather, but so far no one has said anything about Loveland Pass.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loveland Pass?

A great description of the hiking at Loveland Pass...

summitcountyexplorer.com/HIKES/…20Trail.htm

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loveland Pass?

sounds like a great palce to hike!

9. Re: Loveland Pass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 05:17