We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vrbo/FlipKey

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greentown...
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
vrbo/FlipKey

In the process of planning a trip to Breck for 2012.....and I think I want to take the VRBO/FlipKey plunge.......I have always in the past booked my own accomodations direct or from Expedia......but now want to try VRBO and see if I can get exactly what I am looking for instead of being at the mercy of the front desk clerk.

I have a few places at Breckenridge in mind like: Crystal Peak, Mountain Thunder, and the Village at Breckenridge.......

It is my first experience with VRBO/FlipKey, so please excuse my naive questions......

-When booking with an owner via VRBO/FlipKey.....do you pay complete balance at the time of booking.....or do you work out a deposit and then pay balance 30 days from vacation.

-Do you get confirmation numbers/letters to have some sort of receipt of transaction?......

-On arrival, how do I get a key?.......On departure, where do I leave the key?.......is it common to have to travel to a different location for pick up and drop off of keys to unit. (We will not be using a car)

-With the economy the way it is.....is there room to negotiate price as long as it reasonable??

-And last question to Breck experts......we pretty much are going to be hanging around the TBar and Imperial hike to terrain..........is Crystal Peak a good starting point for us.....or does it not matter what Peak we start at each morning??

Thank you in advance for your advice.......

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vrbo/FlipKey

The booking process, how deposit is handled, how much deposit is, cancellation policy...is not set as you are dealing directly with the owner. So one owner may have 1 policy and deposit amount while another owner will have a different policy and deposit amount.

I myself am a VRBO/Flipkey owner (not of a unit in Summit County) and came up with my own policy as well as have used it at times when I travel.

As an example, for my guests they pay a small deposit amount at time of booking and the balance is due 30 days prior to arrival.

Make sure you ask if the rate quoted contains the big 3,

nightly rate, lodging tax & clean fee.

Also, ask if a deposit is required and if so, when you would get it returned.

All 3 places you are looking at use a card key so most likely you would pick this up at the front desk but there is a chance you would need to go to a property management company to pick up the key located at some other point around Breckenridge. The owner should be able to tell you this as well.

Negotiable price- I would assume so. If you ask the nightly rate and it is too high, no reason not to ask if they are willing to accept a lower amount. Some items that might help you get a lower price....depending on your length of stay, come on weeknights (Sun-Thurs). Look at the reservation calendar of a unit. If you see an existing reservation (and if you are flexible) e-mail/call the owner and tell them you are willing to come in the night of the other guest's departure if you could get a nice rate. That way the owner would have a back to back reservations and no open nights.

Of the 3 that you are looking at, my guess is that the Village At Breck will be the least expensive but pricing is determined by the owner so it might vary.

If you are looking at Crystal Peak, might as well inquire at One Ski Hill.

Another complex that is right up by Crystal Peak & One Ski Hill Place but is an older complex is SkiWatch. Older complex but right on the ski run. Again, not as new and doesn't have all the amenities of the other 2 but will not be as $$$ either.

If you are looking at Village At Breckenridge, might as well look at Beaver Run Resort as well.

You will save yourself a little time if you start more on the Peak 7/8 side for where you intend to ski so if you find a price you are happy with, might as well stay there.

Mountain Thunder might be a nice compromise as you can catch the gondola in the morning up to the base of Peak 7/8 (scenic 7-9 minute ride or so) but you are right in town and can walk to everything.

If you were staying at Crystal Peak, you could ride the gondola back into town but the gondola does stop running at 5pm. I believe Crystal Peak has a complimentary shuttle but confirm with an owner from the complex if that is where you choose to stay. Also, Crystal Peak should have access to One SKi Hill amenities (again confirm) as well as Mtn. Thunder should have access to One Ski Hill amenities.

If you have more questions or if you would like more complex recommendations, happy to help.

Matt

Frisco, CO
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vrbo/FlipKey

I am also a VR owner, not in Breck, but Frisco and this is how most VR owners operate in general:

-When booking with an owner via VRBO/FlipKey.....do you pay complete balance at the time of booking.....or do you work out a deposit and then pay balance 30 days from vacation:

A % of the booking is typically due at booking (As an example, I charge 10% of the reservation when booking). Balance is typically due 60 days (sometimes 30 days) before arrival.

In any case, I would book with someone who accepts credit cards as it gives you added protection. Never pay with Western union or send cash. Checks may be OK as well as it is still fairly common for many owners to only accept this form of payment.

-Do you get confirmation numbers/letters to have some sort of receipt of transaction?......

A responsible owner will send you a contract and you will need to send it back at the time of booking. S/he will also send you an email confirming the booking. Your credit card payment (recommended) or cancelled check is your confirmation.

-On arrival, how do I get a key?.......On departure, where do I leave the key?.......is it common to have to travel to a different location for pick up and drop off of keys to unit. (We will not be using a car).

Everyone operates differently on this. Some owners will mail you a key, some will have a lock box on site where you will be able to retrieve a key, others (like me) have a keyless entry system where you don't need a key to come and go, just a code to open the door.

-With the economy the way it is.....is there room to negotiate price as long as it reasonable??

Some owners don't negotiate. Others are willing to entertain offers. As long as your offer is reasonable and won't be offensive, it should be OK. An owner can always decline your offer politely :-). the closer from your arrival date you are willing to book and the more willing to entertain a discounted stay an owner may be.

-And last question to Breck experts......we pretty much are going to be hanging around the TBar and Imperial hike to terrain..........is Crystal Peak a good starting point for us.....or does it not matter what Peak we start at each morning??

We ski there also and typically park at the pay parking at the bottom of Peak 9 (Beaver Run). We warm up on Peak 10 then head to Imperial. The bottom of Peak 8 tend to be impacted during Peak season so we try to avoid it. This is our preference, but many love to ride the gondola up to the bottom of Peak 7 or 8 and go from there. If you are there quite a few days, I am sure you will find your own preferred way.

Thank you in advance for your advice.......

Greentown...
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vrbo/FlipKey

Awesome replies guys........over the last few days I have sent emails to owners of several properties at those locations listed above........and as I expected they all have different methods, prices, deposits, etc...etc.....most at this time are not willing to negotiate, even when I am offering to pay full payment at time of booking in May...........oh well at least I am trying......no biggie......its still lower than booking direct.

The one thing I am definitely learning is the price of these properties through VRBO and FlipKey is that they are significantly lower than direct booking or using the travel search engines..........so thank you again for your advice.

I am probably going to end up choosing a MTL unit....because of location.....I can ride Gondola get off at Peak 7 and ride up to the TBar and go from there.....and then at night, from MTL we can walk downtown to get something to eat and drink........instead of having to use a shuttle from Crystal Peak.

Thanks again Breck experts.........

4. Re: vrbo/FlipKey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 19:15