We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breckenridge altitude sickness?

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Breckenridge altitude sickness?

I've been reading about many people being prone to altitude sickness in Breckenridge. We are going to travel there in November and didn't want this to be a factor. However, we've been to Ruidoso, NM and Ski Apache numerous times with no problems at all, but nobody ever complains about altitude sickness in New Mexico.

In contrast, Ski Apache is at a higher altitude than Breckenridge. Is there something I'm missing? We should be fine in Breckenridge right?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,350 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breckenridge altitude sickness?

I cannot think of a reason why it would be different. Unless you sleep lower at Ski Apache?

All in all most people feel little effects of altitude( if they did I'd have the slopes to myself), a mild headache is most common. If you can try an aspirin a day, real aspirin not a substitute and plenty of h20.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breckenridge altitude sickness?

We stay/sleep in Ruidoso, NM which is about 5k feet and drove up to Ski Apache which is 9k feet at the base.

Honestly, I never thought about altitude sickness until I was booking a trip for Breckenridge today and read about the warnings ha!

I guess my only other concern would be slippery roads since we are driving from Denver to Breckenridge. However, I doubt there would be ice in November?

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breckenridge altitude sickness?

There could be ice in November, not to scare you, NOT likely most days, but entirely in the realm of possibility.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breckenridge altitude sickness?

You can help by doing some basics:

take it easy physically the 1st day or so

drink TONS of water starting prior to your trip and while you are here

go easy on heavy meals, coffee and alcohol

If you are concerned about it, ask your physician about his/her recommendations as well as Diamox.

Matt

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breckenridge altitude sickness?

Look to the top right of your screen under TOP QUESTIONS - there are several discussions and suggestions for altitude sickness there. Check out the O2 bar in Breck if you get a headache. Be cautious with diamox - a side effect is frequent urination - a great way to tax your kidneys when visiting a dry climate IMO.

There will/should/better be snow in November, therefore ice is certainly in the realm of possibilities too.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,350 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breckenridge altitude sickness?

"We stay/sleep in Ruidoso, NM which is about 5k feet and drove up to Ski Apache which is 9k feet at the base."

That would make a huge difference. There is a saying

"climb high sleep low"

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breckenridge altitude sickness?

Thanks for the replies :)

I think we will skip the trip and opt for Vegas instead.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breckenridge altitude sickness?

Whaaat? You're crazy! The cigarette smoke there is worse than our altitude! LOL

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,350 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breckenridge altitude sickness?

Vegas VS the Mountains of Colorado, wow that is a switch! Though in November maybe not altogether a bad idea.

Edited: 14 July 2011, 18:06
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breckenridge altitude sickness?

It's a surprise trip for my wife's birthday and I don't want icy roads and altitude to bring her down. I know she'll like Vegas. Maybe I'll just ask her if she'd like Breckenridge and not be a surprise.

Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge