We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Continental charges $200 for ski bags

SanDiego
Level Contributor
43 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Continental charges $200 for ski bags

Just flew Continental and was blown away, ski bags are over-sized luggage and in addition to the extra bag charge, they will charge you $200 EACH WAY for skis! $400 for you skis/boards.

Try another airline!

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,071 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Continental charges $200 for ski bags

Here's a site that lists most airline ski & snowboard bag fees: snowpak.com/news/…skiandsnowboardbagfees.html

SanDiego
Level Contributor
43 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Continental charges $200 for ski bags

Thanks for your reply! I suggest fliers take this handout to the airport...I have a $270 credit card bill to show not all reps know the rules!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,865 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Continental charges $200 for ski bags

Either I'm missing something here or Continental owes you a refund.

Did you check two bags AND then a ski bag? Otherwise, provided your bag weighs less than 50lbs, a ski bag is permitted as your first or second bag without an over-sized fee. However, if you're checking two additional bags (and your ski bag weighs over 50lbs) then yes, you're going to pay quite a bit. If that's the case, you're going to pay through the teeth with any airline, not just continental. If you want to pay less money for luggage in the future, it would be a good idea to pack more carefully.

Here's a link to Continental baggage fees

continental.com/CMS/…CheckedBaggage.aspx

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Continental charges $200 for ski bags

We always ship our luggage ahead of time. Makes or an easy time at the airport. Check out www.luggageforward.com. One snowboard is $79 to ship.

SanDiego
Level Contributor
43 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Continental charges $200 for ski bags

To smushie

I checked two bags, they each weighed less than 40 pounds (I checked)....one was a roller suitcase, the second a ski bag. If you review their guidelines it is over-length!

Yes, they DO owe me a refund! I applied for one and they said.... "Fees may only be disputed during actual airport check-in as agents must be able to

physically assess the bag." ($*#*#@&@&

Lots of other airlines in the sky.

Continental charges $200 EACH WAY for ski bags! I can send you my receipt!

Kim J

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,467 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Continental charges $200 for ski bags

These days airlines are basically pirates of the sky.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,056 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Continental charges $200 for ski bags

Fly Southwest

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,865 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Continental charges $200 for ski bags

If you paid by credit card then I would put the charge in dispute. The "sporting goods" exemption applies to skis with regard to the length (i.e. that they are exempt from the fee). It's right in their baggage fees page so dispute away.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Continental charges $200 for ski bags

I too would dispute it--I think you got a gate agent that doesn't know the actual rule. This happened to my husband on Delta last year with his fishing gear--there is also a rule you can ship oversized fishing gear as regular luggage, but the gate agent wasn't familiar with it and tried to charge my husband excess baggage. Luckily my husband had his smartphone and he pulled up the page with the correct rule, and the gate agent backed down.

SanDiego
Level Contributor
43 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Continental charges $200 for ski bags

Good suggestion, it turns out you CANNOT dispute a baggage fee after the flight, (per Continental)...I have NEVER had this problem before, so I was flabbergasted, I SHOULD have pulled up the regs when I checked in!

But be warned, and fly another airline!

Kim