We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats keeping skiers/tourists away???

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Whats keeping skiers/tourists away???

We just returned from Breckenridge and had an awesome time. The condo complex we stayed at was nearly empty. Normally the parking garage is full or close to it. Not this time. The mountain is ~50% open, I know that. Seems to mostly affect expert type trails though which I figure is the minority of skiers. At times the mountain seemed deserted. No lift lines though! Saturday we waited a couple times but that was it. Did everyone cancel because of the slow snow start? Economy? Just curious....

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,352 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats keeping skiers/tourists away???

I don't know, Keystone was sure busy last Sat. Glad you had a great time!!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,613 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats keeping skiers/tourists away???

I'd have to guess the news reports about the lack of snow. We've had people here inquiring whether or not to cancel their trips.

I've not been up to Summit County to ski yet this season. I have better snow close to home. Hopefully that will change this weekend!

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats keeping skiers/tourists away???

I think it is a combination of lack of snow and the poor economy. Fingers crossed for it to change, for sure.

Austin
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats keeping skiers/tourists away???

Whatever the reason, it would be a shame to miss skiing this season because of poor information. I wish we could have made it over to Keystone but having a large group as we did, logistics were a hassle.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,613 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats keeping skiers/tourists away???

Early season skier visits in Colorado are down about 10 percent from last winter, Colorado Ski Country reported this week attributing the drop to variable snow conditions.

summitcountyvoice.com/2012/…

Early skier visits down for Colorado resorts amid poor snowfall:

www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_19786785

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,065 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats keeping skiers/tourists away???

People don't want to spend full prices for lift tickets (not to mention airfare, lodging, etc) for a mountain that's only 50% open. I take a Thanksgiving trip to Whistler every year knowing the mountain won't be 100% open, but I do it because lodging, lift tickets, etc are discounted enough to make it worth it. Even if people aren't experts they still want powder, not manmade snow.

I'm sure hoping for more snow for you guys because everyone's cancelling their CO and UT trips and coming to Whistler! I'm expecting awful crowds this weekend.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,352 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats keeping skiers/tourists away???

Skied this past Sunday and it was beautiful skiing. Snow has come and more on the way. Finally looks like winter!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whats keeping skiers/tourists away???

I remember watching the Olympics and seeing rain at whistler. We have had nothing but snow - I doubt many are canceling Colorado. Just not as many booking this season compared to last season. It is hard to go from an absolutely amazing season to a bad season; however numbers are not down that much. It is like comparing your wealthy friend's bank account to Bill Gates' account - not fair - still good! LOL

Also early season lodging rates at Breck offered many options under $100 within walking distance to the mountain. Plus lift tickets are always much less that time of year - especially for those who plan ahead. I skied on Saturday and although it was nothing like last year, it was still decent conditions.

If we never had sub-par seasons, how we would ever recognize those absolutely fantastic ones like last year!? :-) [or at least that is what I am telling myself]

Edited: 23 January 2012, 23:58
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
85 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whats keeping skiers/tourists away???

I can't speak for anyone else, but our annual ski/snowboard trip has definitely been delayed, if not cancelled because of the reports of lack of snow.

For the past 6-7 years we traveled to a new resort wanting to experience new terrain. This year we considered Whistler for a 2nd time (3rd for me), not only b/c its fantastic and its Whistler but because its 100% open and has been for over a month.

Just as Christy1 mentioned above, I'm sure we're not the only ones with this idea.

Where are the deals in CO? If traffic is down so much, why aren't there more lodging specials or discounts on lift tickets?

Either we pony up for another Whistler trip or we cancel this year's trip... sad:(

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,613 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whats keeping skiers/tourists away???

Where were you planning to go? Most resorts have received snow in the past few weeks and conditions are good. Certainly not like what we had last year but much better than a month ago. I've skied 3x in the past week so I can't complain.

Oh well, it would be a shame if you have to cancel.

Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge