We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

breckenridge vs vail/avon area for summer

Davenport Ia
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
breckenridge vs vail/avon area for summer

First time to Colorado and planning a summer vacation with teens and my family. Which is the better location for teens? Also will be going with my sister and brother and in laws who are in their sixties but active? Looking for things to do that are family oriented...hiking, rafting possibly...also looking for any suggestions...

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: breckenridge vs vail/avon area for summer

IMO Breck is absolutely the right place in the summer - especially with kids. Breckenridge is a real historic mining town turned ski town. There is a mile long main street with all kinds of shops, restaurants, etc. There is a river running thru town, there is the Peak 8 Fun Park, and the mountain roller coaster. There are several rafting options within an hour of Breck - most companies will shuttle you. Tons of hiking options, horseback riding, mine tours - lots of nature, including Lake Dillon - where you can rent a kayak, canoe, sailboat, or speed boat to toot around for the day or go fly fishing.

I am not a fan of the Vail area. It is along I-70, it is a fake European village, with a lot of expensive stuff. I think it could be worth a day trip over to check it out, but IMO you will be happier based in Breckenridge for a true Colorado Mountain town experience. Breck is great in the winter, but the summers in our area are absolutely gorgeous!

List of things to do... tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21445-Summit_C…

Ohio
Level Contributor
736 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: breckenridge vs vail/avon area for summer

I've been to both Vail and Breck with my children within the past 3 years during the summer. I agree with 1FourFun in that Vail is a fake European village. It's looks pretty enough but it is a resort town. Breck is also beautiful but it's a real town with a noticeable difference. Breck wins my vote, hands down.

My teen found shopping along Main St much better than what's offered in Vail. Also, as noted above, there's plenty to do in summer and plenty within an hour's drive or so for additional day trips, including Lake Dillon. Last summer, we rented bikes there and rode the paved trail around the lake.

There are plenty of lodging options but, with teens, I would suggest a place within walking distance to Main St for the convenience factor. We stayed here: vrbo 73601, a Village Point town home. It was very nice, could walk to Main, and was a great value for an updated, 3 bedroom town home. ($200 per night, no additional fees or taxes; all included).

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,965 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: breckenridge vs vail/avon area for summer

Yep Breck for a family but I really like Vail for an adult getaway.

4. Re: breckenridge vs vail/avon area for summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2013, 10:21