We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coming either Jan '13 or Feb '13

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
coming either Jan '13 or Feb '13

If the world doesnt come to an end in December i am trying to make it out to Breck either in late Jan or mid Feb. i was in Utah last year i had a blast but i want to try CO now. if there are any pointers on where to stay, i prefer not to rent a car if possible(is it true you really dont need a car for Breck area?) also if you want to tang-a-long(not the girl scout cookies) but join me on my snowboard trip that would be very cool too since i will be coming out there alone.

Thinking of snow

Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,517 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coming either Jan '13 or Feb '13

All other things the same, I'd pick Feb over Jan. Not sure what kind of terrain you like but everything is better with a deeper base. January is still fairly early in the season. By Feb most resorts are 100% open in all but the worst years.

Level Contributor
346 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coming either Jan '13 or Feb '13

Agree the snow will be better in Feb. Presidents day weekend the prices go up, so if you're flexible, avoid those dates. If you stay in Breck, you can probly get by w/o a car, but you'd need to weigh the difference in car rental vs. the cost of the shuttle to get up there (Summit Express is one option). no opinion on where to stay, but nearly all condo's/hotels will be on the free bus route. I'd recommend calling any place you're interested in to ask them how long the bus takes from their establishment and how close to the downtown nightlife they are.

Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coming either Jan '13 or Feb '13

You may want to look at lodging prices to see if that influences your desicion.

Mid Feb can be somewhat more expensive than late Jan.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: coming either Jan '13 or Feb '13

Here's a lodging map if not already looked at:

Also check out this B&B. Good place for singles . . . from what I've heard.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,811 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coming either Jan '13 or Feb '13

another vote for feb with better snow .. i'd personally prefer to pay a bit more for better skiing

Level Contributor
115 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: coming either Jan '13 or Feb '13

I would suggest staying at the Marriot Lodge it is right in the slopes and has a very nice outdoor heated pool. It is a little pricy for what you get but the ski in ski out convinence in totally worth it. I would suggest Feb. more snow and possibly less crowded since its in betweeen the winter and spring breaks. We had a great time in Breckinridge and the only reason we rented a car was to get from the Denver Airport to out hotel though I'm sure we could have used a shuttle and been fine. The 'town" is within walking distance of the Marriot and we loved walking in every night to shop and eat. We did use our car to drive over to Dillon one night but that wasnt nescisary.

7. Re: coming either Jan '13 or Feb '13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 17:43