We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Broomfield to Breckenridge

MOUNT PROSPECT
Level Contributor
97 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Broomfield to Breckenridge

We will be visiting family in Broomfield and driving to Breck for 2 days of skiing a few days after Christmas. We had planned to drive from Broomfield to Breck early in the morning so teen boys can start an all day lesson at 10 am. Then we will stay in Breck for one night and ski again the next day. Are we crazy for trying to drive that distance at that time of year and expect to arrive by 9am? How much time should we allow? Are there any inexpensive motels between Broomfield and Breck where we could stay the night before to cut out some of the distance? I know this is weather dependent but would like some input. We are from Midwest and have never been skiing in CO before. Thanks!

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Broomfield to Breckenridge

I don't think that drive is too bad since you are already on the western edge of Denver. As always, it will be weather dependant. I would plan on trying to get to Breck by 9amish in order to find parking, get around from your parking spot on the buses to wherever you are meeting, get kids in gear...

If you want to drive, think about coming all the way up and look at hotel rates in Silverthorne or Frisco.

Matt

Colorado
Level Contributor
11,505 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Broomfield to Breckenridge

Broomfield is a good 20 minutes north of Denver. It takes a bit less than 2 hours to drive to Breck in good conditions/normal traffic. I'd allow more time as you'll probably be in rush hour traffic during the week on US 36. (Though it may be lighter because it's a holiday week.) If you are concerned about getting there in time, especially in snowy weather, probably best to stay up there. You should be able to find relatively inexpensive lodging in Silverthorne as Matt said. Rates will be more expensive that time of year.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Broomfield to Breckenridge

There are all the chain types of hotels at the Silverthorne exit and at the Frisco one. More in Silverthorne. You might try hotwire or one of the other discounting hotel sites The zip is 80435. I'd take a look and see you might do a 1-2 night stay. 80424 I think is for Breck.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Broomfield to Breckenridge

I think the Snowshoe motel in Frisco is one of the least expensive on our County. If you are driving up on a Saturday or a Sunday - be sure to a lot more driving time - it can be stop and go heavy traffic coming up to the ski areas. Maybe think about staying the night before also? Fireside Inn in Breckenridge might be an option for you also. During the holidays, it is nice to walk around town (Breck and Frisco) with all the white twinkle lights and the shops decorative all festive like, might be nice to stay in one of those towns if you can. Silverthorne does not have a main street with shops.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Broomfield to Breckenridge

I love the Snowshoe! Great idea.

6. Re: Driving from Broomfield to Breckenridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge