We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car - Is an SUV or truck needed?

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canton of Zurich...
Level Contributor
205 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car - Is an SUV or truck needed?

I will be going to Breckenridge for the first time March 16-19. We are planning to rent a car to drive in from Denver. Is it necessary to get an SUV for truck, or is a standard or midsize car sufficient.

Also, which company do you recommend in Denver?

Thanks!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car - Is an SUV or truck needed?

My personal opinion is that you should rent the type of vehicle you are most used to driving, preferably a front wheel drive or all wheel drive rather than a rear wheel drive. I would not rent a pickup truck, but but a 4 wheel drive SUV is a popular choice because of the room and passenger capacity and the availability of the 4 wheel drive. SUVs handle quite a bit differently than cars, and they don't really stop any quicker than a car, so IMO it is best to get a car if that's what you are used to. Lol, others disagree, and this is a common discussion here on the Colorado forums. If you go to the general "Colorado forum" page and look to the right side of the page, you'll see that your question is on of our Top Questions--Is a 4 wheel drive necessary in the winter? For example: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33676-i745-k88146…

Edited: 12 January 2013, 02:26
Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
660 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car - Is an SUV or truck needed?

I have been to Colorado many times in March and drive an SUV. I drive one in Massachusetts so feel most comfortable. I always reserve a car then switch it due to snow. I just feel more at ease driving in the mountains with an SUV.

But agree with previous poster.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,505 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car - Is an SUV or truck needed?

We've always rented a front wheel drive car and have never felt that we needed an SUV.

We've gotten good rates using Priceline for car rentals at DEN.

4. Re: Rental car - Is an SUV or truck needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 07:16