We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest and Hardest Runs at Breck

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
2 posts
Save Topic
Easiest and Hardest Runs at Breck

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the easiest as well as the hardest green, blue, and black runs at breckenridge. Single black diamond please. obviously shoots are more difficult. Thanks

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest and Hardest Runs at Breck

This is an odd question since the labels green, blue, black, double diamond, EX, are really letting you know easy, medium, hard, advanced, extreme already. So I guess I will answer by saying the Blues on peak 7 are nice - usually not as busy as the rest of the mountain and can keep their powder longer - some are groomed, some are not. The blacks around Peak 8 Summit are some of my favorite - steep, powdery - some runs have moguls others don't - you can cross over to one without moguls easily there. Although I think many people prefer Peak 10 blacks. All greens are easy IMO - and frankly I try to avoid them, too many newbies. The base of Peak 8 and 9 are the most crowded, so I get up the mountain and try to stay there - or I stick with Peak 7.

Minneapolis...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest and Hardest Runs at Breck

Thanks 1FourFun. There is a huge skill Gap in our group. I know not all runs are created equal, so i am hoping to find some stepping stones so i don't send someone down the hardest blue or hardest black, before they can crush the easier ones.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,315 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest and Hardest Runs at Breck

It can vary day by day. Get a grooming map each morning--start on groomed and move up as you feel comfortable.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
658 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest and Hardest Runs at Breck

"Newbies" should stick to Peak 9 and if they conquer it move them over to Peak 7. Peak 8 is very busy and sometimes new skiers get anxious if the trails are too busy. Peak 10 is great for good skiers;/experts and the bowls should only be tried if the people in your great are good.

I live in Massachusetts so use to skiing NH and VT ie; ice and I have to say that I had zero problem with the blues at Breckenridge, thought they were all decent if not easy trails. There was a decent black on Peak 8 that was steep, I definitely saw a huge difference from the Blues - Blacks. Tell your newbies not to try the blacks, have them master the greens and maybe blues instead.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easiest and Hardest Runs at Breck

Excellent advise reese and Andee. Conditions vary day to day and a grooming report is the best way to determine where people in your group might be most comfortable. I also agree that mastering greens and, more importantly, learning how to carve a turn, is far more important than trying to push people to do what someone considers an "easy" blue or an "easy" black. The slope International for example is often considered the "easiest" black at Crested Butte. This is because it is one of the only groomed expert runs since it's the race course. By mid-day, International is a bullet-proof hard slab from inexperienced skiers scraping and side sliding their way down. At best, these inexperienced skiers learn nothing from scraping their way down a steep slope. Realistically, what they learn are horrible habits that can seriously interfere with the normal learning process. Further, while these types of runs are often referred to as "easy" blacks, they are filled with out of control skiers making them some of the most dangerous runs on any mountain. My advice would be to take at least a day of lessons no matter what your abilities and focus on skill building rather than looking for "easier" or "harder" runs. Besides, once you know how to ski, every run is easy.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
658 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easiest and Hardest Runs at Breck

I would venture that 99% of first time (non lesson) skiers that do not return is because they are pushed or push themselves to try "harder" trails. Unless you are a professional, skiing is an individual sport, nothing wrong with skiing greens.

I have a knee injury and chose all greens at Attitash a few weeks ago...I wanted to baby the knee and just did short runs, non-stop to build some strength.

As for Breck - special place, your party will love it.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,333 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easiest and Hardest Runs at Breck

May I suggest you take advantage of the free mountain tours for the experienced ones in your group and then yes a lesson for the newbies. Great way to learn the mountain.

snow.com/faqdetail/Mountain-Information/Can-…

8. Re: Easiest and Hardest Runs at Breck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 06:19