We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to determine if a rental is AWD or FWD

College Station...
Level Contributor
5 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
How to determine if a rental is AWD or FWD

We are heading to Fairplay, CO Feb. 6 and will be staying in a home up a mountain road. Having read all the forum posts and the side column on rental cars, I am having a hard time figuring out online if a certain car is a FWD or AWD.

Anyone have suggestions (other than calling the rental car companies individually) to figure this out? Thanks!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,834 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to determine if a rental is AWD or FWD

Sedans are usually front-wheel drive. SUV's are either all-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive. In either case, if you are leaving a paved road, I would suggest tire chains in case of inclement weather. I use an easy to use, snug fitting cable variety.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,899 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to determine if a rental is AWD or FWD

AWD should be noted on the vehicle type. But you also will need to verify on pickup. Rental car companies won't permit you to use chains.

Have fun.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,834 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to determine if a rental is AWD or FWD

Rental cars companies also won't permit you to drive on unpaved roads so, depending on the conditions, I'd suggest taking your pick on how you want to break your rental contract.

Boston
Level Contributor
41 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to determine if a rental is AWD or FWD

I had similar concerns when renting an suv. It is surprising how many are made in an 2WD version. Whenever I'm renting one I call the company and ask if the SUVs they rent are in fact AWD (they ought to be in CO.). There is no guaranteeing that the agent you talk to is properly informed but at least it is a start. It may or may not be noted on your agreement but you will be able to see whether or not the vehicle is AWD.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How to determine if a rental is AWD or FWD

Ask for a Subaru, they are all AWD. Otherwise, most AWD passenger cars, on the back, say AWD.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,680 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to determine if a rental is AWD or FWD

Well, there is one more option that is used by folks in areas with steep icy roads. Park at the bottom and hike up. You may need snowshoes and poles, but it is done by many folks. Lots of non-maintained roads in the mountains.

You are bound to have some good stories - hope they are all good in the end.

7. Re: How to determine if a rental is AWD or FWD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 06:18