We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Love Breckenridge Trip Report

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
660 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Love Breckenridge Trip Report

I LOVE BRECKENRIDGE! Trip Report 2/22-2/26

I flew from Boston – Denver on Jet Blue on Friday, February 22nd, arrived into Denver at 10:30pm and stayed at the Hyatt House (near the airport), very clean, full breakfast the next morning and everything was very comfortable and service was fine. I rented a car from Advantage, a small Mazda 3 but it was brand new, only 300 miles and the tires were fine so even though I wanted an SUV, I wasn’t going to pay the ridiculous prices i.e.; over $600 a week.

I picked up my friend on Saturday at 11am at the airport and we headed down I-70 to Breck. We stopped in Frisco at the Backcountry Brewery. I loved the chicken nachos and my Czech Pilsner beer. My friend thought this Philly Steak/Cheese sandwich was just okay. In Frisco, we went to Safeway and bought items for breakfast, snacks and beer (unfortunately terrible selection of beer and my friend bought Miller Lite which I never drank, hello in Colorado I want good craft beer! My advice go to Safeway and get some “essentials” before arriving in Breckenridge.

We arrived in Breckenridge around 3pm and checked in to our rooms at Village of Breckenridge. I booked a studio and he booked a 3 room condo. I was in the main building and was very happy with my studio; it was a decent size, huge bathroom, full kitchen and gorgeous views of the mountain. My friend’s condo was in my opinion too big for one person but it would be perfect for a family.

I can’t say enough about the service at Village at Breckenridge. SUPER nice from the front desk – concierge – cleaning staff.

Places to Eat & Drink

The first night we went to Modis on Main Street and was pleasantly surprised on how good the food was. I read mixed reviews but after talking to the manager/owner, I found out that Modis changed ownership/management a few months ago. Very interesting menu and great cocktail/wine list. I had a sweet potato and chili lime soup and a quinoa salad, very good and a local craft beer. My friend got a stuffed chicken breast with root vegetables. I liked the atmosphere there and would definitely return.

Empire Burger – well as I have mentioned several times on this board, I was craving Empire Burger months ago and couldn’t want to go. On the second night in Breck, we went and I got a burger with guacamole and fries, soooooo good. I washed down the burger with a Fat Tire and the bartender gave me a complimentary shot because it was my birthday. I love Empire Burger so much that I returned the next night and ordered the exact same thing  The only issue I had with Empire Burger is that the bartender both nights was in the weeds….there should be two, not just one, no one likes waiting for drinks but besides that, it was great.

Eric’s – we attempted to go to Downstairs at Eric’s but it was packed. No offense I am sure that place is great for families but it was not a place I would return to as a fairly young single type, the food looked “okay” but no one came up to us when we arrived and I had to hunt down someone to find out the wait. It wasn’t my choice but my friend’s so it was best that we left and went to Modis on the first night instead but as I mentioned probably great for families.

Clint’s Coffee – I remember loving it in 2010 so I headed there the first day and got a Clint’s Mocha Latte and a HUGE chocolate chip cookie. My new favorite coffee house this time however was Cool River Bakery & Coffee House located on Main Street. The door is off to the side, not directly on the street so look for it. Delicious coffee and homemade pastries, soups, sandwiches. Very nice people who own it and I would recommend trying it.

So many places I wanted to try i.e.; Relish, Crepes place etc…but ran out of time plus didn’t have a huge appetite my entire trip.

Peaks 10-9-8-7

I love Breckenridge and really think anyone; any ability will find something to ski there. There was a chair lift outside of the Village at Breckenridge, Peak 9 , so I would say I got the most runs in at 9 but ventured to all peaks. 10 is the hardest, all blacks and to be honest I don’t like super steep so only did two runs there but if my game was on more, I would have spent more time there. Peak 7 surprised me in that in 2010, it was my favorite peak, I remember back then it was empty and soft powder well I went there in the afternoon, definitely some slick sections and the only chair lift on 7 broke down (with me on it) so needless to say a few runs at 7 then I went over to 8. Peak 8 was crowd but I didn’t mind it so I did some decent runs there. I did not ski the bowls at Breck. I was overall very impressed with the lifts, people who worked at Breck, the groomed trails, fresh powder (I lucked out, MANY inches of the “white gold”) and especially the “information” skiers all over the mountain. I felt safe at all times etc…

It’s My Birthday

It was my birthday while I was out in Breckenridge and when I booked my stay at Vail at Breckenridge I said “hey my birthday is February 24th”, then I jumped on Breck’s Facebook page and wrote “hey anything free for my birthday”. Yes I have no shame  Well BOY did Breck deliver! The Village of Breckenridge gave me a bag full of wine, popcorn, olive oils, hot cocoa etc…plus a card signed by the entire staff when I checked in THEN delivered a HUGE cake to my room on my birthday. Breckenridge Ski put “Happy Birthday” with my name on every lift line sign AND when my ticket was scanned at the lifts the scanners sang “Hey Hey it’s Your Birthday”. Seriously SO COOL. Definitely would advise anyone who is having a birthday to ask for “freebies”. In addition, I received free shots at Empire Burger so needless to say I felt very special on my birthday!

Altitude Sickness

My friend from Chicago suffered altitude sickness the first and second days i.e.; headaches, nausea, shortness of breath etc…I on the other hand, go to Colorado often so didn’t feel sick because I am use to the mountains BUT definitely did not have a big appetite. I should have been hungry after hours of skiing but each day could care less to eat. There is an oxygen bar for those who suffer from it. My advice is to arrive in a day early and get use to the change. I did feel shortness of breath my first day but was 100% skiing so really no complaints. I did make sure I drank tons and tons of water and Vitamin Water.

Misc.

I love the downtown area in Breckenridge, some cute shops and the Ski Museum not to mention “Fire pits” to keep you warm. I can’t fully explain it but I have a deep connection to Breck. Every time I go there, I fit right in, people assume I am one of the locals and I get sad when I leave. It really is a special place. My advice to all of you is GO TO BRECK. Don’t overly worry about where to stay (but huge advocate now of Village at Breckenridge, loved it) or what peaks to ski….make Breck your own. I certainly did, I loved exploring it all and now planning on my next trip out to my favorite ski town! The best part about Breck is the friendly people 

My trip report doesn’t end here, next stop was Vail. Will write the Vail Trip Report tomorrow.

Did I like Vail as much as Breck? Did Vail live up to the hype? Stay tuned!

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
660 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Love Breckenridge Trip Report

For some reason "Village at Breckenridge" changed to Vail at Breckrenridge? Village at Breckenridge is where I stayed....

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Love Breckenridge Trip Report

Wow! I am so glad you had such an amazing time in Breckenridge! There are so many amazing restaurants it is hard to fit them all in! I am so glad you had a rockin birthday!

P.S.

-All beer sold at the grocery store is 3.2%. I would suggest always buying alcohol at one of the liquors stores. Much better selection!

-Safeway is good for grocery shopping but City Market (aka Kroger) in Breckenridge has a better selection and often times cheaper and there is a liquor store a couple doors down. If you want to go to Safeway, there is a liquor store a couple doors down towards Walmart.

Thanks for the great post!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,834 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Love Breckenridge Trip Report

Oh my you bought beer in the grocery store, after all the research you did? Ouch!

Glad you had a good time.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Love Breckenridge Trip Report

Very informative! Glad to hear you struck gold on your birthday! Thanks for taking the time to post!

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
660 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Love Breckenridge Trip Report

Ali I DIDN'T BUY THE BEER. The idiot with me did and I refused to drink it. Drank all local brews!

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
660 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Love Breckenridge Trip Report

Oh the beer thing annoyed me so.much. what a jerk to buy miller lite in a supermarket ugh. My "friend " ended up being so annoying that I ditched him after the first day and went to Vail solo. Any guy that can't understand I want LOCAL CRAFT BREWS in Colorado is not someone I want to be around lol

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,144 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Love Breckenridge Trip Report

Well, Reese1, at least the "idiot" with you did not have to worry about rolling the Miller Lite up in his underwear in his luggage for the trip home! :)

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
660 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Love Breckenridge Trip Report

Ha true but sad to say I did no rolling of beer in my underwear this year. Hope to be out in June so....lol

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Love Breckenridge Trip Report

Great TR. Hind site is always 20/20, but now you know for next time.

I'm renting my equipment from Virgin Islands in Silverthorne. There's a liquor store in the shopping center, so I'll see if they sell real beer. I remember being in Park City where they also have 3.2 beer, and it doesn't do anything, I was at a bar and drink 4 big glasses, and all it did was get me full.

Looks like you hit the jackpot telling them it was your birthday.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Love Breckenridge Trip Report

Virgin Island is a great local place to rent! They are really friendly, knowledgable and helpful. The liquor store in that shopping complex is just okay, I would go across the street right/south on the main rd, then left at the light where einstein bagels is) to the place next to City Market, or North on Hwy 9 (left/north on the main rd, then about a mile down on the right) to a place called Locals Liquors. both have a MUCH better selection.