We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions and helpful tips on visiting with an 18 mth old?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions and helpful tips on visiting with an 18 mth old?

Hi, we are hoping to holiday in Breckenridge for 8 days in march/April 2014. Our baby will be 18 mths old by then and was looking for any helpful suggestions on traveling with a toddler in the snow? Do kids get Altitude sickness? If so what should we do or bring with us? Is it easy to get around breckenridge in the snow with a toddler? We come from a tropical climate in Australia and although my husband and I have been skiing before, we've never traveled with kids until now. This will be a new experience for us. Any suggestions for travelling with a toddler would be helpful. Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
705 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions and helpful tips on visiting with an 18 mth old?

I've traveled with a friend's toddler (I think he was maybe 2-1/2) and my own newborn (when he was 8 weeks old). Breck has a children's museum in the Village area. Bring the stroller, but be prepared to go "offroading" with it a little bit as the sidewalks can be a little slick sometimes after a fresh snowfall. In town though, especially in the spring, the daytime thaws should make it quite lovely. There isn't a ton to do with kids that age in Breck, in my opinion, as they are too young to go tubing or take advantage of some of the other activities for slightly older kids, but you can buy an inexpensive sled almost anywhere and check out the sledding hill in town.

I don't think kids are as affected by altitude as we are, but try to push fluids nevertheless and watch for the classic signs.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,599 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions and helpful tips on visiting with an 18 mth old?

Be sure you are aware of possible effects on infants and toddlers due to altitude. These are responses to a previous question regarding this. I want to emphasize that most infants and children have no problems.

Yes, there are precautions for infants and children regarding altitude. Just like you, they need to drink water or clear liquids (clear juices mixed with water). Popsicles are an option. Their ears will "pop" with changes in altitude just like yours. Pacifiers which encourage swallowing help as does chewing gum for older kids. One of my infant relatives had trouble with constipation here, related to the dryness and difficulty in getting infants to drink the extra clear liquids they need at altitude. Prune juice did the trick. Kids can get headaches and nausea, too so have appropriate medications for those. Altitude sickness varies from person to person and many have no problems. On the Colorado forum, look at the Top Questions section in the upper right. Altitude is the second question.

From Missp:

In my years living in Colorado, I've only personally known one child who had symptoms severe enough to require medical treatment and retreating to a lower altitude. Staying in Denver or Boulder your first night would be a good idea if at all possible.

My "go-to" place for information about altitude sickness is the non profit Institute for Altitude Medicine at Telluride.

http://www.altitudemedicine.org/

Here's some of what they have to say about altitude sickness and children:

"young children cannot communicate their symptoms well . AMS in young children may present as any of the following;

■fussiness and irritability

■increased crying

■food refusal

■lack of energy, or increased sleepiness

■vomiting

■lethargy

The same principles of prevention in adults apply to children.

■Slow ascent, such as spending a night in Denver or an intermediate altitude significantly reduces your child's chance of AMS.

■Restricting activity on the first day or two will aid in preventing symptoms

■Ibuprofen or Tylenol will prevent headache

■Children may also take Diamox® to prevent AMS. Special pediatric dosing of 3-5mg/kg per day applies for children.

Mild symptoms can be treated with rest, Tylenol®, or ibuprofen. Children that seem sicker should be taken to a physician for medical care. Treatment is similar to adults and includes oxygen, Diamox®, dexamethasone, or mediations for nausea and vomiting.

Denver
Level Contributor
204 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions and helpful tips on visiting with an 18 mth old?

Breckenridge is at 9000 feet and the mountain top is above 10000. As stated above, breathing and headaches can be a problem at this elevation. For some people or children it is not something that can be overcome. Elevations below 8500 feet (i.e. Vail or Aspen) seem to be OK. If medication does not help their headaches, bring them to at least the elevation of Georgetown on the other side of Loveland Pass or to Denver at 5280 feet. If your child has asthma, you should avoid Breakenridge, Keystone, Abasin, Wolfcreek and Loveland ski areas usless you bring oxygen tanks. It is not uncommon for elderly people to be skiing at Breckenridge with oxygen tanks while not needing them at Vail.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions and helpful tips on visiting with an 18 mth old?

Thank you. This is great info :-) we were looking at beaver run resort to stay at. Do you know if it's any good, especially with kids?

5. Re: Suggestions and helpful tips on visiting with an 18 mth old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge
Recent Conversations