We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental for 7-8, close to town, ski in, walk to lift

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
8 posts
Save Topic
Rental for 7-8, close to town, ski in, walk to lift

Hi everyone,

We are planning a trip for February for 7-8 adults. We are all beginners and intermediate (maybe!). Several of us will be doing a day of ski school. We have some who will probably ski a day or two and then do some shopping. I've gathered that ski in/walk to lift is a good option so we can go back to the condo for lunch. We will probably eat out every night. I'm pretty overwhelmed by the options and am at least looking for a recommendation on a part of town to help narrow the search or specific suggestions would be great. We are all from the midwest and I really want to stay at the lowest altitude we can to prevent problems with getting sick (in addition to all of the other recommendations).

Thank you so much!

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental for 7-8, close to town, ski in, walk to lift

Presume you've check the Breck website and orientated yourself to the layout of the town and lodging options. re: altitude Breck base is higher than most lower than some but still at 9600 feet you might feel the effects the first several days . . . like waking up thinking you have a hangover. Odds are at least one in your group will have a miserable time while the rest will acclimate well.

http://www.breckenridge.com/

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental for 7-8, close to town, ski in, walk to lift

7-8 people. Assuming you are looking at a minimum of 3 bdrms possibly 4.

I would look at

Village At Breckenridge

Beaver Run Resort

One Breck Place (3 bdrm townhomes)

Cedars

PowderHorn (not sure if they have anything big enough but can look)

This should get you started.

Here are some things you can do to prep for coming to altitude

-work out some

-dring LOTS of water starting 2 weeks prior to coming up

-avoid caffeine & alcohol if possible. If not, have in moderation as altitude has greater effect with these

-avoid HEAVY meals, light meals (carb based) are better.

-drink lots of water while here...even if you don't feel thirsty, drink water.

-come up to altitude slowly if possible. If flying into Denver, if getting in late, stay the night down there and get out and walk around

-go ez on the 1st day

-look into something called Diamox

-if you didn't catch it...drink LOTS of water while here ;-)

Matt

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,923 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental for 7-8, close to town, ski in, walk to lift

If you are concerned about the altitude (and it isn't too late to change your plans), you may want to consider Vail (the base is 8200') or Steamboat (6900')

Indianapolis...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental for 7-8, close to town, ski in, walk to lift

Hm, not very encouraging texranger :/ The altitude was a huge concern for me at first but Breckenridge seemed like the best place for us overall, and others I chatted with and talked to said that if we take precautions it should be okay (I know it's not a guarantee). We are flying into Denver Thursday, making our way to Breckenridge Friday, and not skiing until Saturday. We are familiar with everything else (lots of water, no alcohol), so fingers crossed. I just thought I would also try to stay at a lower altitude at Breckenridge as well.

Near the quicksilver and snowflake lifts seem to be popular. Are these both considered the 4 o'clock part of town? Would one of those be better than the other? I think I read the ski school is on Peak 9...

Last night after I posted I was looking at Trails End and Park Place and both of those seem to have nice things available, although I didn't look super in depth. I need to find places that sleep that many adults and half of the beds aren't bunk beds ;)

Thanks everyone.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental for 7-8, close to town, ski in, walk to lift

Here is a condo map (not to scale so some might look a little closer to the lift or further from the lift for that matter than they really are: snowpak.com/snowpak/…breckenridge.html

Trails End is great- I would just be surprised if you found anything big enough

Park Place- ok. Again, not sure if they have places big enough. Stairs only, no elevator at this complex.

Yes- if you are using VRBO.com, you would be looking at the Four Oclock area or Warriors Mark West.

Warriors Mark West- Powderhorn, Timbernest, SnoDallion, MountainWood, Main Street Station, Lift, MotherLode...

Matt

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,744 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental for 7-8, close to town, ski in, walk to lift

Jenm0333, I'd not worry too much. If altitude made that many people "miserable" we'd have far fewer visitors. We have people in from the flatlands all the time it is rare that someone feels that poorly. More common is headaches and upset stomach. Matt gave great advice though being in shape has no bearing on who is affected. In addition to water some people are helped by aspirin, real aspirin. Take an aspirin a day a couple of days prior to coming and an aspirin a day while your here. You can buy oxygen in a can at the stores in summit county if someone is feeling poorly that helps. If anyone in your group gets to feeling really bad pop into the fire station, They will check their oxygen levels give em a whiff or two if need be.

Indianapolis...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental for 7-8, close to town, ski in, walk to lift

Thank you for the reassurance, Alli. That's kind of what I was thinking and what others pointed out. Also thanks for the tip about the fire station.

Back to lodging :) Is there much difference between the area near Snowflake and the area near Quicksilver? It seems they are both close to town. I'm thinking the elevation is probably similar? There are SO many options, I'd like to start with the best fit for us first and then if we can't find anything move to the next. Are there other places in town we should consider that are ski in and walk to lift? Thank you all so much!

Leon, Ks
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental for 7-8, close to town, ski in, walk to lift

Take a look at Pine Ridge Condo's, You can ski back on four o'clock run and the shuttle bus stops right in the front of the complex. Its a 2 minute bus ride to the snowflake lift and five minutes to the Quicksilver lift,. Its an easy walk to town.

http://www.pineridge.com/

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental for 7-8, close to town, ski in, walk to lift

I would try looking for lodging at the Village of Breckenridge - it's very close to town and also is adjacent to the Quicksilver chair lift. If you're worried about altitude sickness I would visit the O2 Lounge (oxygen bar) which is in La Cima Mall, only about a block from the Village.

Hope this info helps!

Indianapolis...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental for 7-8, close to town, ski in, walk to lift

Thank you everyone! So we have it down to The Village @ Breckenridge, Park Place, and Tannebaum by the River. The latter two are in there because the other people we are going with would prefer something cheaper. We are planning to do ski school the first day, which I understand is off of Peak 9...does anyone know if there is a shuttle from Park Place to there?

How is the walk from Tannenbaum to Quicksilver and from Park Place to Snowflake? Far enough to be a pain when you have your equipment?

The Village would be more expensive and not everyone would have a bed (two people would have to sleep on the pull out sofa) -- is the location worth it?

Another person in the group mentioned Main Street Junction but that appears to be on the other side of Main Street and I think the walk would be decent or we would have to shuttle to lifts. Is this accurate?

Thank you everyone!