We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private family ski lessons

Marshall, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Private family ski lessons

My husband and I and our three teenagers are coming to Breckenridge for Christmas this year. Can anyone recommend some place that a family of five can get fairly inexpensive ski/snowboarding lessons?? This will be the first time that any of us have ever skied or snowboarded. Would it be better for us to get a private lesson as a group instead of going to a ski school??

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,530 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private family ski lessons

For first timers, I would suggest ski school. Your teens will likely be grouped separately from you and your husband. At Breckenridge, like virtually all other resorts, lessons will only be offered through the resort.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,203 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private family ski lessons

Yes ski school for sure. Inexpensive and private lessons do not really go together. You do have a couple of options to save a bit though

The nearby town of Frisco, just a few miles away, offers beginner lessons. It is not a ski area but a learning hill. I think it is a great idea. Much less intimidating than taking a first time lesson at a major resort, then maybe move to the ski School at Breck for another lesson. townoffrisco.com/adventure-park/…

or buy the 4 lessons for U pack at A-basin you can share the package. Best deal going arapahoebasin.com/ABasin/…4-lessons-4u.aspx then again hit up SS at Breck

Other than that all I know is pull out the credit cards and stay at Breck

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private family ski lessons

I plugged in the date of December 27th to look at costs- it is a little cheaper to go with a ski school lesson if you don't have a lift ticket- $149 a day for lesson & lift ticket per person or $755 for a private lesson for 5 people however you would also need lift tickets.

As for the ski school vs private family lesson- totally depends on your family dynamics & learning styles. We did a family lesson last spring and had a blast with the kids (10 & 8) but we are all good skiers and although we all have different comfort levels with challenging terrains, we had a great time and learned a lot as well had some family fun. I am the weakest or at least the least daring skier in the family now and I would not have wanted to learn with the boys. Now that I am comfortable on nearly all terrains and confident we have a great time together. I will never ever beat them down the mountain, but I am OK with being the caboose! So I guess I would lean toward ski school vs a group private.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private family ski lessons

Ski school! At least for this first trip. Some places have special prices and sessions for first timers, "never evers."

And start with skiing. The teens will want to snowboard, too, I'll bet. I have one kid who hated skiing and refused to go back after his first try, but loves boarding! And two who love skiing and gave boarding a try (they recommend trying it three times) and decided they like skiing better.

5. Re: Private family ski lessons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 05:18