We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Craft beer - where to go?

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
690 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Craft beer - where to go?

Staying in Keystone but plan on hitting Breckenridge 2-3 times for dinner. Love craft beers, but after a quick glance at dining options I'm not sure how many places serve much of it. Any suggestions in the downtown area?

Much appreciated.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
658 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Craft beer - where to go?

Most every place in the downtown has at least one craft beer on tap. My advice would be to hit the BRECK Brewery ie their own delicious craft beer on tap, I love their Avalanche beer!

Michigan
Level Contributor
690 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Craft beer - where to go?

Somewhat related question - since I'll be driving from Keystone I'll only be able to enjoy a couple beers. Can you confirm that's about a half hour drive? How easy of a drive is it (driving in snow is no big deal, but mountain roads can sometimes be challenging)?

Colorado
Level Contributor
443 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Craft beer - where to go?

it's mostly flat... except going over swan mountain road, but that's not too bad really/relatively (It's "easier" coming back to keystone in my view). i think 30min time budget is probably a bit high, but good time to plan on.

Given you are in Keystone, you might consider Pug Ryans down in Dillon, they brew their own beers and the food has always been solid on my visits, it's our standard dining out place when we stay in the area.

Breck brewery, Frisco's Backcountry brewery, Dillon Dam Brewery and Pug Ryans are the places I know that brew their own beers in the area.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,333 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Craft beer - where to go?

Most of the local places with have taps with local beers. Kenosha in Breck has a nice selection. The Old Chicago in Silverthorne has lots of taps. That said I'd go with Laughing labs suggestion of the local breweries. You can easily take the Summit Stage to Pug Ryans and the Dillon Dam. You are right to think twice about driving after a couple of beers. One the alcohol content in some can be pretty high, plus our police often, always, have a speed trap set up between Dillon and Silverthone. No matter what you do watch the speed limits. They change from 45 to 50 to 35 somewhat randomly along hwy 6.

Have fun!

Michigan
Level Contributor
690 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Craft beer - where to go?

Good information all around. Thanks to all.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
658 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Craft beer - where to go?

There is a free shuttle bus between BRECK & Keystone, my coworker takes it daily/nightly. So maybe look into taking it? A bit long but at least a safe ride. Tons of great local beers, you won't be disappointed!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
690 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Craft beer - where to go?

I'll definitely look into the shuttle. Sounds like a great option. Thanks.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
658 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Craft beer - where to go?

http://sucobrewtour.com/ thought you might want to check this out!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,333 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Craft beer - where to go?

If you are flying in you might stop in Idaho Springs on the way back. TommyKnockers makes some great stuff

http://www.tommyknocker.com/ I had the Nouveau yesterday, pretty yummy!

Depending on the time of your flight it is in a good spot to miss traffic. We left Keystone* yesterday making it to east side of the tunnel about 1:00 at TommyKnockers around 1:30. Missed traffic the whole way. I always eat in the bar, more festive. To get back on the highway just keep heading east on the main street you will get back on further east missing most of the traffic.

* we take the pass over rather than the long way through Dillon/Silverthorne

Edited: 09 December 2013, 15:54
Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Craft beer - where to go?

A little off topic, but since you mentioned traffic... the eastbound tunnel (Idaho Springs twin tunnels) opens to 3 lanes this week so that should ease some of the traffic congestion.

Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge