We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to get excited about this trip, please help!

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pass Christian...
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to get excited about this trip, please help!

We are headed to Breckenridge for the first time for Mardi Gras. We have been skiing before, but the last time was almost 10 years ago. The main reason we booked this trip was for our 17 year old son ... he's really gotten good at wake boarding and is looking forward to trying snow boarding. We have rented 111 Woods Drive and are sharing it with two other couples and their children. I know we will have fun spending time with our close friends, but I keep thinking I am going to spend my vacation working (skiing) and freezing my southern butt off - ha ha! I have heard nothing but positive things about Breckenridge. What is not to miss? Do they have any Mardi Gras festivities going on at that time? Will I still be able to ski after not skiing for 10 years and being oldER? Will the altitude really be that much of an issue? Please convince me I am going to have fun :)

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to get excited about this trip, please help!

I'm a midwest skier. First time I went to Colorado I wasn't even 40 years old, and I found myself sucking air really hard. I'm now close to 60 and it doesn't bother me at all. What's the difference?

1) I don't try to do a whole lot the first day. That lets my body adjust to the altitude change.

2) I've learned to attack the hill. The first time I was so scared that I wouldn't be able to handle a big mountain that I spent all my time traversing. Nothing is more tiring. Instead of me skiing the hill it was more like the hill was skiing me.

So, give yourself a day to adjust. Take a lesson to get back in the groove. It will probably take you all of one run. You're going to be fine. Hint: drink plenty of water, twice what you normally do, and I do mean water, not soda or beer -- though of course you can have them at the end of the day. Being well-hydrated is going to keep that spring in your legs longer.

BTW, your son is going to have a blast!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to get excited about this trip, please help!

The best way to ensure that you have fun is to take lessons. I would consider taking at least a full day group lesson if not 2-3 days. You'll be paired up with other adults of similar abilities, there will be someone to help get you up off the snow when you fall, and you'll enjoy your ski time much more after you're done with lessons because you'll be a better skier. A 10-year hiatus is a great reason to take a lesson and learn to ski properly rather than to further ingrain old, bad habits that make skiing tiring and un-fun.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to get excited about this trip, please help!

You are going to have an amazing time! There are so many things to do! March is a great time to come and it tends to be a little warmer. Here is a link to things going on for Mardi Gras. http://www.gobreck.com/events/mardi-gras

Pass Christian...
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to get excited about this trip, please help!

Thanks ya'll! I will definitely plan on taking a lesson or two. The goal is for my son to have a blast, so if that happens it will be a successful trip! Thanks so much for the Mardi Gras info. We don't arrive until Monday, so maybe I can work in a lesson around the parade on Tuesday. That looks like fun! And I sure hope that March is warmer :)

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
658 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to get excited about this trip, please help!

I live in Breckenridge & it is fun 24/7!!! You will love the vibe in the town and everyone who works on the mountain is great!!

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to get excited about this trip, please help!

Take a lesson. Read my web site about drinking water and taking an aspirin each day one week before you arrive.

http://www.nogodforme.com/Vail2013.htm

Take the aspirin while you are there. No, you won't freeze your butt off, but after a few days, your head may become heavy and your breathing will increase.

Get in shape before you visit. Ride a bike to get your cardio up and do wall squats for your legs. Put your back to a wall, and slowly drop down until your legs are at a 90 degree angle like sitting in a chair. They will burn after 10 seconds. Work your way up to 30 seconds then a minute, this will take you a month to do. You can do this while watching your favorite TV shows. Try to hold a wall squat through the commercial break.

Here's my Breckenridge page.

www.nogodforme.com/Breckenridge2010.htm

Eric's is a nice dive bar located underground. The kids will like this place with the arcade.

On the snowboarding, make sure the 17 year old wears a helmet, and put an extra hat in the back of the ski pants. We'll call this a butt pad. Why? If you fall forward, then you face plant. If you fall backwards, then it's on your butt and it hurts. Watch YouTube videos about snowboarding and how it works. He'll pick it up quickly, but wiping out can hurt until you get the hang of it. Catch an edge, and boom, faceplant. They also have wrist guards, but they're not really necessary after the 1st lesson.

Edited: 15 December 2013, 13:24
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to get excited about this trip, please help!

In addition to the helmet, I'm going to suggest wrist guards. Honestly, I don't think wake boarding is anything like riding.

Pass Christian...
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to get excited about this trip, please help!

Thanks for the great advice!

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to get excited about this trip, please help!

How did your trip go?

10. Re: Trying to get excited about this trip, please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 04:25
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge