We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed: Dad and 5 year old

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
150 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed: Dad and 5 year old

Taking my 5 year old son to go skiing over presidents day weekend. Staying in Denver Fri night the 14th and the driving to Summitt County Saturday morning to go Skiing. Staying at the Doubletree at the base of Peak 9 Sat, Sun, and Mon night before leaving Tuesday the 18th for an afternoon flight out of Denver.

-Is there an unusual amount of traffic leaving Denver around 7am on a Saturday? (not taking weather into account)

I hope to ski 3 days with my son, but would be happy with just 2. I plan on putting him in Ski School.

-Should we stick to the same ski school all the days? I was possibly thinking of skiing Keystone on Saturday, and then Breck on Sunday and Monday (since we are staying at Breck). I have one friend with a season pass at Keystone that I would like to ski with, and another friend with a season pass at Breckenridge. (they are the “cheaper” passes and cant ski other resorts) But I also want him to be comfortable wherever he is so he wants to ski the whole time.

-I know each kid will learn differently, but I was thinking about putting him in the small group school for the first 2 days, in hopes he could ski some greens with me on the 3rd day. Basically spend the extra money the first two days, and then save some on the 3rd day, and we could ski together. Is this a possibility for a 5 year old?

-We are staying at the base of peak 9 at Breck, but there is no ski school that meets at Peak 9. Which area ski school should he go to? And whats the best way to get there- I would prefer to walk, or then drive ourselves. I know we could shuttle it, but it depends on how convenient they are. (since we are only there a few days, I just hate spending time waiting….)

-Are there ever any discounts for Breckenridge lift tickets from local coupon books or anything? All I can really find online are for other resorts

Thanks in advance

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed: Dad and 5 year old

Sat a.m traffic can be heavy as Denverites head to the hills so be prepared. I'd leave at 6.

There is ski school classes at Peak 9. It's referred to as Beaver Run. 2 days in class and 1 with you should be fine.

No discounts on lift tix other than multi-day passes purchased online 7 days in advance from Breck website. Note that this is typically a very very busy weekend. Reserve ski school before you go.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
239 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed: Dad and 5 year old

How does your 5-year old react with new sports/activities? Hard to say if he'll be OK with 2 vs. 3 days. It can be a lot of skiing at that age. We will also be at Breck soon and have two boys ages 7 and 10. We plan to ski total of 3 days and snowmobile one other day. They were 5 and 8 when they took their first ski lesson (a 1-day program). We then gave them a private lesson later on that season, and they progressed significantly. They are now skiing in control, know how to turn, and know 'ski etiquette'. They can even do black diamonds (but then again, that's here in NC which I'm sure doesn't map the same way to CO standards).

So I guess what I'm saying is, try 2 days of lessons, and I think he will be good to go!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,245 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed: Dad and 5 year old

>>Is there an unusual amount of traffic leaving Denver around 7am on a Saturday? (not taking weather into account)<<

Yes traffic will be heavy at that time. Agree with texranger, leave as early as possible. 7 am will put you in the thick of it.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,906 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed: Dad and 5 year old

Some season passes allow for buying extra discounted tickets for friends.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
121 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed: Dad and 5 year old

OMG! If you want to get to Breck,get checked in, put son into ski school (right at The Maggie, across the bridge from where you are staying), I would suggest leaving much earlier. Traffic going on a holiday weekend will be crazy! Our granddaughter has participated in Breck's 3 day ski lesson pkg at that age....she loved it! I can't praise those awesome ski instructors enough! Forget dinner out though...he will be puckered out! She always fell asleep before appetizers arrived :-) Have FUN!!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
150 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed: Dad and 5 year old

Thanks for the input. Ski school check-in is by 8:30, so looks like we will have to leave by 6, if not earlier. He does well in organized activities, so hopefully 2 days and then ski greens with me on the 3rd day, but we will see. I didn't realize Beaver Run was at Peak . (i guess i should have read a map more closely...)

I emailed the Breckenridge office asking about their cancellation policy for ski school. They said its a 24 hour beforehand policy, but if a kid is not having fun or gets there and wont put his skis on, that they would refund it. (sounds like they don't wants parents pushing their kids into school kicking and screaming....) So that makes me feel better about reserving a spot a head of time.

Any other thoughts?

Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed: Dad and 5 year old

Where in Denver are you staying?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
150 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed: Dad and 5 year old

We are staying at a hotel at Colfax and HWY 70 close to Golden. Our flight is schedule to land land at 7:30pm on Friday night. So i didnt want to drive out there after that, plus the rate in Golden is about $89 a night compared to $500 a night in Breck.

9. Re: Advice needed: Dad and 5 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 05:19