We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing Breck expert terrain & Driving to Breck in blizzard

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
116 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing Breck expert terrain & Driving to Breck in blizzard

Hi all and thanks in advance for any info you can share.

1 - Driving

Routed up 285 this coming Thursday (currently in Santa Fe) which looks to be a lovely drive - if it weren't in a blizzard. Time estimated at 5.5 hours where I-25 to I-70 is 7+, but I'm considering the long way due to the snow. Driving an AWD SUV, with decades of winter driving experience so I don't wish to be overly cautious, just choose what will in fact be the fastest route. If anyone has experience with the 2 routes, would appreciate the inside local road knowledge.

2 - Skiing

Staying right in town, will have 2 almost certain to be big powder days Fri and Sat. I'm an expert skier with about 100 big powder days under my belt, I only no longer do the type of chutes where if you miss a turn you'll die, and honestly my avalanche education is weak. Expert Breck skiers (and shredders): death chutes aside:

- what is the steepest, sickest, most fun terrain to hit with 2 powder days at breck?

- any info on avalanche, after a foot or 2, do they generally close areas to bomb, or, what info do you look for / terrain to avoid on avy days? as the whole mtn will be fresh should be no reason for me to go out of bounds, but would like to hit the best bowls, hikes, areas if anything to share

- getting started, i'll be on south main street. which lift(s) do i take to get out of the beginner area and quickly to the blacks, any particular lifts to seek / avoid, areas to center on?

thanks very much for any help

i'm really looking fwd to the snow (2 days at breck + 3 at vail)

cheers!

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing Breck expert terrain & Driving to Breck in blizzard

Keep an eye on this link, zoom in to fine more cameras. There are a few on the 285 route. Would check it Wed afternoon or Thursday morning and make your decision from there.

http://www.cotrip.org/device.htm?type=still

If roads are bad, I prefer to stay on major interstate.

Ihttp://www.breckenridge.com/mountain/resort-maps.aspxnteractive ski map:

You might give Imperial Lift a try. I like Peak 10, especially skiing a run called The Burn. Tree run, but holds the powder well. Tree skiing that is fairly open up top but narrows near the end.

If lines are running long, will hit E chair and hit blacks off of this. Map doesn't show the full scope but look for "Shock"

Matt

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing Breck expert terrain & Driving to Breck in blizzard

Agree with Matt re: Peak 10. Some very nice steeps there that will be less traveled than those off of Imperial but less wide open requiring a bit more technical effort. If travel good expect huge crowds on Sat. 8" of new stuff reported today with more on the way Fri, Sat which we need. Be first in line and enjoy. Pow Pow!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
116 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing Breck expert terrain & Driving to Breck in blizzard

@Matt thanks a lot i can see on the cameras that 285 is generally empty of traffic, hope it's also clear of snow and will check thurs morning, perfect resource.

@Matt & Tex, appreciate the tips, guess i'll ski imperial until its tracked up then head to 10 & E. thanks!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
288 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing Breck expert terrain & Driving to Breck in blizzard

I'm really worried about the winter storm headed in. We arrive this evening and are taking a shuttle and I'm really scared about the drive from the airport :(

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing Breck expert terrain & Driving to Breck in blizzard

Shuttles are good thing for you. Leave the driving to them and relax. As a commercial vehicle I believe they will need chains if required. You'll be fine.

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing Breck expert terrain & Driving to Breck in blizzard

winter storms in a ski area are a great thing, be happy and relax, im coming up next week and praying there is at least one and hopefully two

Cleveland
Level Contributor
288 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing Breck expert terrain & Driving to Breck in blizzard

We were fine, luckily we landed ahead of the bulk of the storm. Thanks so much!!!

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiing Breck expert terrain & Driving to Breck in blizzard

22 inches at the stake and counting, enjoy the pow..

breckenridge.com/mountain/mountain-web-cams.…

9. Re: Skiing Breck expert terrain & Driving to Breck in blizzard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 05:19