We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter snow? with three teenagers?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Easter snow? with three teenagers?

We have three teens who have been skiing since they were about 5. My son and my husband are advanced to expert skiers. My daughters and I are intermediate to advanced, but tire more easily, and aren't as enamored with glades and moguls. We rarely venture outside of our home region. We ski a lot at the local mountains (Hidden Valley and Seven Springs, PA) as we own property there. My son is a local mountain rat when he isn't playing amateur hockey. Since Easter is outside of hockey season this year, we were considering venturing off to another state aside from NY & WV. Given the time of year, where is our money best spent? We are used to eastern crud, but would love to avoid it if possible since we don't get the opportunity very often. Any suggestions on the best snow? the best resort/area for teens? family of five accommodations?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,856 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter snow? with three teenagers?

Were you thinking of coming the week before Easter? April 20 is the last day open for most of the ski resorts except for Arapahoe Basin and Loveland Ski area. The snow has been fantastic this year, so if it continues there is always a possibility that a few resorts might remain open for another week. No way to know at this point.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter snow? with three teenagers?

we would come Wednesday April 16 and leave Monday April 21. Only skiing 17,18,19,20. And the girls and I might only ski three of those days.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter snow? with three teenagers?

Do the resorts close because of lack of snow or lack of skiers? Here it is lack of snow usually after March 15th.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,856 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter snow? with three teenagers?

March and April are the snowiest months here so normally it is not a lack of snow.

There are many reasons the resorts close when they do - land leases, employee contracts, lack of interest from skiers, expensive to keep resorts open.

Since you are arriving the week prior to Easter you will be fine. Families love Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper Mountain, Winter Park. You have a lot of choices.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter snow? with three teenagers?

thank you! that eases my mind about snow then. So now to figure out where to stay. Great info!

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter snow? with three teenagers?

A couple of years ago I went to Colorado the last week of the ski season, and was hit with 8" of snow every night for 4 days in a row. No one can promise that, but I don't think you have to worry about not enough or bad snow.

As for where to stay/ski there are lots of reviews available here: www.onthesnow.com/colorado/ski-resorts.html

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter snow? with three teenagers?

you may want to call the ski resort. Often that late in the season, they may not have all the lifts operational as the majority of crowds are gone, thus they let go of some of their staff.

I think one year, the Quicksilver was closed in the late ski season, thus if you chose to stay at a lift that says it is walkable to the lift, then you may end up at a lodging choice that is walkable to a lift that is not open.

If close to a lift is no big deal, then stay in the downtown core area as more to do especially with teens. Can walk everywhere.

Mountain Thunder might be a safe bet as my guess is they will keep the gondola open to the base of Peak 8.

Matt

8. Re: Easter snow? with three teenagers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge
Recent Conversations