We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January driving through the Pass, Breckenridge proper, 4x4 v

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Roanoke, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
January driving through the Pass, Breckenridge proper, 4x4 v

We are from Texas (former Nebraskans however) and going to Breck in early Jan 2015. Any advice out there if we truly need a 4WD vehicle to get through the Pass and around in Breckenridge, as the landlord at our rental suggests? The rental is in town, ski -in and has paved access and driveways.

We are driving an Enclave and an Equinox, AWD. We have experience driving in snow, however the Pass will scare us if it's hit with a foot of snow suddenly.

Are chains the best bet for a possible snowmaggedon?

We have been to Breck in March twice with only a bit of snowfall to deal with. I think January may be a different kind of beast. Especially after seeing the winter of 2014.

Thanks!!!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,487 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January driving through the Pass, Breckenridge proper, 4x4 v

Unfortunately you have no way to predict and there's no greater or less likelihood of snow in January compared to March. If you hit a foot of snow it doesn't matter if you have an AWD or a 4WD, you're probably not going anywhere.

It sounds like you're driving your own car, is that right? The Enclave and Equinox AWD vehicles are no different than a 4WD. Bigger question is what you have for tires. Snow tires would be ideal for the trip. All season tires would be acceptable and basically what a rental would. Regular summer tires would be a problem. In all likelihood, you have an all season tire on the car. In that case, I would just go with it and use common sense.

Yes, you could get chains. But they're a complete pain to use and can cause vehicle damage, more likely tire damage, which is why rental car companies don't permit them.

I would just use your vehicles and use common sense and caution. If you've lived in Nebraska, you know how to drive in snow. And if you have a foot, you're just not driving any vehicle until roads are cleared.

Good luck.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,988 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January driving through the Pass, Breckenridge proper, 4x4 v

Historically it snows more in March than January. This winter has no bearing on what next winter will bring.

There have been many discussions about the necessity of 4WD if you do a search you can read them.

Edited: 13 March 2014, 14:23
Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: January driving through the Pass, Breckenridge proper, 4x4 v

I drive a Subaru AWD and have no problems. Make sure you have good tires, take your time and you will be fine. Also, I would not even worry about chains. They will close the road if it gets so bad that you should not be driving.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,988 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January driving through the Pass, Breckenridge proper, 4x4 v

I almost forgot... on the upper right side of the main forum page are the Top Questions about Colorado. One of them is "In Winter do I need a 4 Wheel Drive Vehicle in Colorado?"

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28927-i252-Colora…

5. Re: January driving through the Pass, Breckenridge proper, 4x4 v

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 05:27