We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Father/Son Trip with my 8 Year Old to Breckenridge in July

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Father/Son Trip with my 8 Year Old to Breckenridge in July

I am surprising my son with a trip to Breck at the end July. Throwing him in the car and just driving, he will have no idea! First of all, I cannot express my excitement for this but there are also a few little concerns that I have.

I want to blow his mind on this trip with hikes, ziplines, whitewater rafting, EPIC Discovery (that is opening soon, I think), Peak 8 Summer Fun Pack, all that stuff.

Where can I find good hikes for us to go on? I am in good shape when I am in St. Louis, but I do not want to hike to a 14er and know for a fact that my son will have trouble. ha

Ziplines, I want to do a zipline course that is more then just one line down the mountian, best one around?? Willing to drive up to an hour or 2 for it as my son and I are addicted to ziplines.

What are some restaurants that we just cannot pass up?

Thanks in advance for any help you all will be able to give me!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Father/Son Trip with my 8 Year Old to Breckenridge in July

Breckenridge is in Summit County and this is the best hiking trail guide for Summit County.

summitcountyexplorer.com/summithikingtrails.…

With ziplining, there can be weight and age requirements. Two to check out would be Captain Zipline near Salida and Devil's Thumb Ranch near Winter Park.

http://www.captainzipline.com/

https:/…12751

For whitewater rafting, Brown's Canyon out of Buena Vista is probably the #1 favorite trip in Colorado.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 17:30
Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Father/Son Trip with my 8 Year Old to Breckenridge in July

Things he would probably like:

Alpine Slide

Gondola Ride up to Peak 8

Peak 8 activities

Hike: Mohawk Lakes in Breckenridge area. Lily Pad lake (easy) in Frisco

Bike ride from Breck-Frisco- catch the free bus back up. Only takes 4 bikes per bus (30 minute wait) so can be awhile if there are a lot of people there.

Or rent a bike in Frisco, ride around the lake to Dillon, catch the water taxi back (they will take bikes on the water taxi for a small extra fee), have lunch at the marina

Rafting- Buena Vista is an hour away. 1/2 day on Browns Canyon. Hit the hot springs after, hit Kays on the way out for some a burger and an ice cream.

Frisbee golf course- free one in Frisco

Try to get up early and get do your outdoors stuff in the morning. If a thunderstorm does blow in (which is somewhat typical in July) it comes in after lunch/mid-afternoon, hits for about 1/2 hour and then is nice again.

Enjoy.

Matt

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Father/Son Trip with my 8 Year Old to Breckenridge in July

Oh, another easy sort of hike.

Peak 8- take the ski lift up. Walk back down...doesn't get any easier than that :-)

If you are feeling VERY acclimated later, ski lift up, hike to the top of Imperial Peak for awesome views, walk back down.

Matt

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Father/Son Trip with my 8 Year Old to Breckenridge in July

"I do not want to hike to a 14er." Yes, you do and from the parking lot at the top of 14, 264 ft. Mount Evans, it is only 1/4 mile to the official summit. The Mount Evans Scenic Byway is an easy trip from Breckenridge. Along the byway, enjoy Echo Lake, Summit Lake, the Mount Goliath Natural Area and the overlooks along Squaw Pass Road at Eagle's Aerie and Juniper Pass picnic areas. Mountain goats hang out at the summit. Here is the map link for the byway loop from Breck.

http://goo.gl/maps/3FMQL

If you get an early start and the afternoon thundershowers either hold off or blow through, you could also check out one of these hikes.

Off Squaw Pass Road - Chief Mountain

funcoloradohikes.com/chief_mountain.html

Near Idaho Springs - St. Mary's Glacier

funcoloradohikes.com/st_marys_glacier_trail.…

Edited: 13 May 2014, 20:00
Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,812 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Father/Son Trip with my 8 Year Old to Breckenridge in July

Breckenridge has a zipline if you want to test that one out first.

breckenridge.com/activities/tenmile-flyer.as…

Another zipline nearby is Top of the Rockies http://topoftherockieszipline.com/

(Much closer than Salida or Granby)

Edited: 14 May 2014, 19:27
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Father/Son Trip with my 8 Year Old to Breckenridge in July

You guys all ROCK!!!!!!!!! Thank you for all the ideas, the 14er will happen for sure now that I know the hike will be easy for the Lil Man!

Really thanks all, I was really hoping to blow my sons mind with this trip, and with these suggestions, it will happen!!

Thanks,

Dave

Chicago
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Father/Son Trip with my 8 Year Old to Breckenridge in July

We did a family trip to Breckenridge in July 2013 with our boys who were 9 & 7 at the time. Their favorite activities were: #1 White water rafting. We used Browns Canyon Rafting in Buena Vista and went on their level III trip. They still talk about this! A bit of a drive, but well worth it., #2 Horseback riding at the Rusy Spurr Ranch in Kremmling. Again a bit of a drive, but this is not your typical nose to tail trail ride. You get on your horse and are free to roam as long as you are within a reasonable distance of your group. They thought that they were real cowboys! and #3 Bike riding down the Vail Pass. We purchased this package through Alpine Sports. They picked us up at our lodging with rental bikes, drove us to the top of Vail pass and we cruised from Vail to downtown Frisco where they picked us up and drove us back to Breck. We stopped off in Copper Mtn village for lunch along the way down the pass. There are parts of this ride that are pretty steep and that is what the kids loved!

I am jealous!!! Have fun.

8. Re: Father/Son Trip with my 8 Year Old to Breckenridge in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 08:17