We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any good for first timers?

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
396 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Any good for first timers?

My parter and I and another couple would like to spend New year skiing in Breckenridge. I dont ski (yet) and either does my friend but both our partners ski very well. They would normally go to europe soewhere (we live in England) but I want to go to America - my questions are:

1. Is Breckenridge a good place to learn

2. What is the nearest airport

3. What are the good ski in-ski out hotels?

4. Any good sites to find costs of ski school?

Thanks in advance!

bq
Albany, Georgia
Level Contributor
590 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any good for first timers?

Hi--I am certainly no expert, but IMO, Breck is a great place to learn to ski. The slopes are wide and if you ski mid week not nearly as crowded. We go in February.

We fly into Denver. Usually rent a car but we may use a shuttle service from the airport. There is one that I was told is $39 per person each way from the airport. You can usually use the bus service or the hotels usually have a free shuttle to get you around town, or you can walk....

We stayed at The Great Divide Lodge. It is 50 yards to the slopes, cross the street and you are there. The general manager there, Steve is a super nice person. Restaurant there is just ok, but we have stayed there twice and have been completely satisfied. You can read about the lodge on traveler reviews.

Beaver Run is next door to the Great Divide.

These sites have great info. snow.com and gobreck.com

Hope this helps you some.

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any good for first timers?

I think Breck is a great place to learn. My husband learned there and really enjoyed it. He loved the runs and the conditions.

The nearest airport would be Denver. You would have more luck finding a ski in ski out condo. Lots to choose from in that area.

Oregon
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any good for first timers?

You have made a good choice with Breckenridge.

Novice skiers will find very nice easy terrain, with excellent ski instructors. The more experienced will also come to love Breck. It has the highest ski lift in North America (Imperial Express) which stands at 12,840 feet. Considering the base area of Breck is at 9600 feet, it is quite an area…for the United States.

here are a couple of informative sites:

www.skisnowboard.com/breckenridge/index.html

and this site has webcams:

http://breckenridge.snow.com

Oregon
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any good for first timers?

found a better web site for the terrain at Breck

ski.com/interactive/maps-breckenridge.aspx

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
463 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any good for first timers?

As a former Colorado native I can tell you that, while Breck does have a good ski school, in my opinion there are other resorts with wider open terrain and conditions much more conducive to first time skiing. Plus, having lived in Denver I know how crazy the New Years traffic can be at the Front Range resorts -- Keystone, Breck, Copper. I would try Beaver Creek, Vail, or maybe even Steamboat if you can get there directly. It can be so narrow in spots, and so crowded that weekend, that psychologically it can be a harrowing first place to learn (ask my husband). If BC, Vail or Steamboat seem too far, at least go to Copper where the runs are wider and the terrain separated by skill level.

Hopefully I'm not stepping on anyone else's toes, as it were.

All the best to you,

Beth

brisbane
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any good for first timers?

I have similar questions and was wondering if anyone can help me. 4children, 2 adults coming from Australia in Dec, novice skiers. Happy to go the extra distance if it means a better holiday.

Is Steamboat a good choice or sholud we not travel as far and try Copper or Breck.

I am finding it really hard to make a decision, it's a once in a lifetime trip for the family and want to get the most out of it.

Any advice please.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
463 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any good for first timers?

I think Steamboat is an excellent choice. It's about a three hour drive from Denver but I know major carriers fly into Steamboat during ski season from various hubs such as Chicago. You might check out that option.

I've just never understood the allure of Breckenridge. I guess I'm a Vail snob. When I lived in Denver it was at the bottom of the list of most of my friends as favorite places to ski. It's just so crowded.

Copper is an excellent place for kids to learn but if you're coming from so far away I'd go to a real Colorado town, like Steamboat Springs or Telluride. Some would say Breckenridge is a real Colorado town, but it seems more contrived to "look" like an old Victorian town. In a Disney way, I suppose. But many, many people love it so mine is a lone voice on the subject. You can't go wrong, no matter where you choose in Colorado.

brisbane
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any good for first timers?

Thanks Beth. I appreciate the input.

How important is the ski in/out option. Are the shuttles a real pain?

brisbane
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any good for first timers?

Another query. I don't seem to read much about Winter Park. What's it like as a family holiday?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
463 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any good for first timers?

Ski/out is not a big deal, in my mind. Borders Lodge, for instance, has nonstop shuttles as do probably all the other lodging options. Charter at Beaver Creek is another idea. For romance, though, Borders or Poste Montane.

As far as Winter Park goes, Winter Park people are highly loyal fans. I've only skied there once and never stayed there so I can't speak with much authority on the subject. People seem to rather enjoy it. I do know they have an excellent ski school for people with disabilities, so I would imagine their regular ski school is outstanding as well.