We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
rio de janeiro...
10 posts
Save Topic
car rental

i am having some difficulty to rent an SUV for 30 DEC in Denver to go to Breckenridge.

Would a normal car be ok to drive from Denver? would chains be required?

thanks

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

Colorado tire chain law for passenger cars describes two circumstances in the case of lots of snow on the road. In the first case, either chains or good mud & snow tires are permitted In the second case, chains are required no matter what kinfod tire you have. The Dept. of Transportation determines if road conditions are such that chains or mud & snows are required. In the years I lived in Colorado, front wheel drive and good all weather tires did just fine almost all of the time. Have you tried some of the lesser known rental places such as Payless and Alamo to see if they have SUVs?

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
631 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

A normal car would be just fine......assuming there is no snow storm.And you can't garuntee that there won't be a storm,because CO has crazy weather and it can snow at the drop of a hat anytime. If you can find a car with at least front wheel drive and good snow tires,you *should*be ok in a storm,although CDOT may still require chains,and there's no garuntee you can make it up some of the steeper parts of I-70.

I would reccommend at least an all wheel drive vehicle or an SUV on the off chance there is a storm. Especially if you don't have experience driving on snow,I'd really try for an SUV. Have you looked into other car rental places that aren't necessarily at the airport? It's pretty easy to take a quick taxi to an Avis,Enterprise,Hertz ect. that is in Denver.You can make reservations on-line with them and have the taxi take you there where you can pick up your SUV. hope this helps a bit!

rio de janeiro...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

Thank you, it was very helpful!

4. Re: car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 23:16