We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt. Princeton Hot Springs

Which Buena Vista hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mt. Princeton Hot Springs

My family and I are planning on visiting Colorado in mid-June. Since we plan on floating the Arkansas River and riding the Leadville train, we thought about staying at the Mt. Princeton Resort for a couple of nights, but the reviews are so varied. There is a poolside room available on our dates, but I fantasize about a relaxing soak in a lovely setting, not a stay at a dump. Does anyone know the status of remodeling? Thanks!

Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt. Princeton Hot Springs

Hi JoSto~

I've got a family friend who owns an inn in the area, and have been going to the Mt. Princeton pools since the early 80's, and while they have undergone some serious rennovations recently, I haven't heard great things about the hotel. The pools are for sure worth a soak, but you may want to check around for accommodations. You could probably rent a really great house up there for a very reasonable amount, or stay at another local property.

I'm guessing you'll have a car? That area is beautiful, but very spread out. I'd also recommend going up to the top of Mt. Antero, and possibly a picnic lunch at St. Elmo, a local ghost town. you can drive almost to the top of Mt. Antero, and from the parking lot it is a very short walk to the summit. St. Elmo is a straight shot from the Hot Springs, and is a very cute little town. There isn't much to do there, but it is fun to picnic and wander around & see what life used to be like up there.

In Leadville, check out Quincy's. Their menu only has one thing on it -steak. You choose your size and your side. It is a fun experience, and the only place I know of that you can get a steak and a beer for under $20.

If you're in to history, the Buena Vista and Leadville areas could keep you busy all summer!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt. Princeton Hot Springs

Cologirl14-

Thanks for the info- I had read another post about St. Elmo and was in the process of researching. So is there a way to access the hot springs pools without going onto the private property of the Mt. Princeton resort? Thanks

Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt. Princeton Hot Springs

You're welcome!

The pools have a separate office from the resort. You just walk in and pay and you're free to use the facility all day. I believe they're open until 10 pm.

Also, in the summer, they have another pool open during the day with a water slide. It is across the road from the hot pools, but would probably be fun if you're traveling with kids.

Lakewood
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt. Princeton Hot Springs

All of the Mt. Princeton rooms have been remodeled in the last 6 months. They are now the nicest rooms in this area. Our room had flat screen TVs, feather beds, leather couches and a mosaic shower. Someone has poured millions into that place in the last year. We reserved one of their new cabins for 4th of July, it will be our third time in the same cabin this year!

Conifer, CO
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt. Princeton Hot Springs

Where are the "Mt. Princeton rooms" that you're talking about? We'd like to treat ourselves to a really nice place this weekend and see the balloon festival, if they still have openings.

Ozarks
Level Contributor
2 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt. Princeton Hot Springs

I know the new cabins at Mt. Princeton are nice, but the week we can go, only the lodge rooms are available. Has anyone stayed in the lodge in the past 6 months? I'm not picky, but a good mattress and clean bathroom are high on my list.

Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mt. Princeton Hot Springs

Hey Everyone,

I just spoke with a friend that lives in the area, and she said that she checked out the rennovations at the lodge and was really impressed. From what I understand, they're not completed yet, but the cabins and rennovated rooms are worth a visit.

If you go, be sure to get a rennovated room if you can't get a cabin!

8. Re: Mt. Princeton Hot Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 10:24
Get answers to your questions about Buena Vista