We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hi! We are going to Buena vista in mid july with 2 kids..

Which Buena Vista hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
oklahoma
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hi! We are going to Buena vista in mid july with 2 kids..

Our ds are 8 and 5 years old. Any suggestions of things to do with the boys? I heard of ST. elmos and the pool and Mt. Princeton I thought of going white water rafting but heard maybe not a good idea with a 5 year old. We were going to rent a pop up camper at the snowy peaks rv park, has anyone heard anything about them? Thanks for any info! Denise

Denver
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hi! We are going to Buena vista in mid july with 2 kids..

Water water rafting will be okay for your 5 year old. You can also fish in Buena Vista. I camped at "Chalkcreek Canyon" and it was really nice.

Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hi! We are going to Buena vista in mid july with 2 kids..

Hi Denise~

If you do go to St. Elmo, stop and hike up to the waterfall on the way. I believe it is called Agnes Falls now. It used to be called Angel Falls. It is a short, easy hike, but it is beautiful! You can stick your feet in the stream on the way up, and the waterfall provides for some great photos!

The Deer Valley Guest Ranch just past the hot springs offers guided horseback tours and chuckwagon meals for a fair price. I loved doing that as a kid.

You can also make the trip from BV to Leadville (about half an hour or so) and get a taste of the old west at the Tabor Opera House, the Heely House, and many other historic sites. Lake Turquoise is just outside of town, and is another fun place to stop. You can rent kayaks in town (I prefer ocean kayaks, they're bigger and a bit more stable) and take the kids for a paddle on the lake if the weather is nice.

I don't know anything about snowy peaks rv park, but the area is beautiful. One thing to keep in mind, mid-July at that elevation will require TONS of sunscreen and water!

Arlington
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hi! We are going to Buena vista in mid july with 2 kids..

My grandmother who was from OKC lived in BV for many years - I spent all my summers there some 30 years ago and will be back the end of July- I agree white water rafting would be fine with a 5 yr.old -River Runners is offering a coupon for one person free on their web-site- St.Elmo is great- Leadville has a train over Independence Pass where there is always snow-you can take them fishing-lots of horseback riding stables around as well. Also in Fairplay not very far away at all -(20-30Min) take them to South Park City- a western town of original old buildings- we are taking the 7 yr. old with us-go to www.southparkcity.org

for info- Eat cheeseburgers at the Dinner Bell cafe- also eat at the old Silver Diner on the highway -The Evergreen cafe -Hope this helps-You will have a blast-

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,949 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hi! We are going to Buena vista in mid july with 2 kids..

The train in Leadville does not go over Independence Pass. That is a car road only open during the non-winter, which goes into Aspen!

The train in Leadville goes up toward Climax, another high mountain pass, where a huge molybendum mine is located. DIfferent place, same result, snow!

Just wanted to clarify!

oklahoma
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hi! We are going to Buena vista in mid july with 2 kids..

wow! thanks for your info! So does it get very hot? We were hoping to escape the heat. Of course here we aren't too hot as we've been getting a lot of rain!

Highland, Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hi! We are going to Buena vista in mid july with 2 kids..

We stayed in Buena Vista at Snowy Peaks over the 4th of July last year and had a great time. Temps were great. We mostly went sight seeing and hiking. St. Elmos is a neat "ghost town" and the kids can feed the chipmunks there and there are a lot of great hikes in the area. We went rafting with Noahs Ark and had a combo package with the Leadville railroad. The kids might enjoy that.

7. Re: Hi! We are going to Buena vista in mid july with 2 kids..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Buena Vista