We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone run Brown's lately?

denver
Level Contributor
39 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone run Brown's lately?

I promised my daughter we'd do a full day through Brown's this summer, but with the water so low, I'm not sure it's still a good trip. She's too young to do Royal Gorge (she's eight) and clear creek has always seemed too highway-ish for me.

So has anyone done Brown's lately? We used Wilderness Aware last year and they were great, but I've been thinking about River Runner's because of the ease of put-in/take out. Any suggestions?

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,595 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone run Brown's lately?

The latest replies on this thread are regarding your question.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33327-i838-k55342…

K S
Buena Vista...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone run Brown's lately?

The monsoon rain season finally arrived in Buena Vista so it's helping the river flows, although they still are not near regular levels. Low water means you're not going to get soaking wet, or even splashed much. Instead of discussing river flows, here's how I'd explain it to someone who's not a regular river person: If doing Browns on a normal year is like driving down the highway at 65 mph with the windows rolled down, then this year, you slow down to about 35 mph, roll the windows up 3/4 of the way (not much splashing), but then someone places a bunch of cones on the highway and it's your job to maneuver around them (these would be the rocks). It's certainly still fun and challenging, if you adjust your expectations (and of course, the guide is there to help you get around the rocks). As I said in the other thread, the canyon is still beautiful, offers wonderful solitude and a chance to spend uninterrupted time with family. If your 8-year-old has not been rafting, I would say, don't miss it.

Both companies you've mentioned are excellent. I would recommend either. If you choose River Runners, plan a river-side meal (maybe dinner after your day of rafting) at their fish taco stand and laid-back bar on the river.

Seattle, Washington
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone run Brown's lately?

Our family rafted down Numbers on 7/27/12, and the water was painfully low. We were constantly scraping bottom and getting stuck on rocks. Don't bother rafting with the water this low, it's not fun.

4. Re: Has anyone run Brown's lately?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2013, 10:15