We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bighorn Mountain Top Lodge- Royal Gorge

Which Canon City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis
Level Contributor
7 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Bighorn Mountain Top Lodge- Royal Gorge

We stayed here on 9/10/10. We had 5 people, I think that they charge you by how many people you have. They asked me when I made the reservation. I imagine it depends on how many bedrooms you are going to use. Our cost was $508.00 for the whole place. It was our one splurge on the trip. It was well worth it.

We stopped and got steaks, potatoes and salad/dressings to cook on the gas grill. The stove/oven inside is also gas. There is a triple door refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher and microwave. There is also an ice machine inside. Lots of kitchen items for your use, plates, silverware, pots and pans, etc.

There are 3 bedrooms with queen size beds. 2 of the rooms are good size, one is rather small. There is also a hide-a-bed couch in the living room. Linens for it are in one of the bedrooms. The fireplace is gas and easy to light. There are 2 good sized bathrooms, one has a large shower and full sized washer & dryer, the other is a tub shower combination.

The views are amazing. Everyone in our group commented how they would like to stay a few more days there. Outside, there is a small deck overlooking the gorge. There is a picnic table and a swing outside. Inside, the back wall over looking the gorge is all windows. You can eat at the table looking out or in the rocking chair.

If you can swing the price, I recommend you stay here at least one night. I have lots of photos, you can contact me on here with your email and I will be happy to send some to you.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bighorn Mountain Top Lodge- Royal Gorge

Thank you for taking time to write it. I've seen this lodge many times, but never stayed there. It's a great feedback.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
7 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bighorn Mountain Top Lodge- Royal Gorge

Thank you. It was a great experience. The washer & dryer came in very handy as we were traveling in little 2 seats convertibles. The ice machine also for our little coolers.

A couple more things, there was a fairly large parking area above the lodge. You could also park right next to it but it is on a hill. We parked up above and the morning we left, moved the cars down to load them. You pick up the key at the gate to the bridge. There is a chain across the road leading up the the lodge. They told us to make sure we put it back after going through or we'd have all kinds of people coming up to site-see. When you check out, you return the key to the gate.

I forgot to mention that they had little packs of shampoo and bars of soap just like at a hotel. There was dish soap under the kitchen sink, hand washing and dishwasher. I don't know if that is always there or if it was left by a previous guest. There were salt & pepper shakers in the kitchen.

I did not find any laundry soap but since I had brought my own, I didn't look very hard for it.

Since we were staying only one night, we wanted to check in and see what was available before going to the store for our dinner. It's kind of a long way to the store, it seems even longer because the road is very curvy and has a low speed limit. I sent everyone else while I started the laundry.

Oh, we did not have internet connection there. There is a a router, I think it's used for the phone. I could connect to it but couldn't get past it. My husband sets up and maintains networks for a living and he couldn't do it either. Our cell service was very sporadic. We ended up just turning them off because it was using up our battery looking for service. Hey, we didn't need the internet or phones with all those wonderful views anyway. They had tried to call me from the store to ask if we needed something, I didn't get the message for a couple of days.

Also, I forgot, there is a TV there that has satellite. We didn't even turn it on.

We had originally decided against going over the bridge since they charge $25 per person. The morning we were leaving, my husband decided that we should walk across since we were there. If you get there between 7 am and 9 am (could be 10), it's only $15 per person since all the other activities aren't open yet. The only thing open then is the bridge and the animal park. We walked across the bridge and walked through the animal park, then back again.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bighorn Mountain Top Lodge- Royal Gorge

And now as it's getting dark earlier, you can go on the bridge after 4pm for $15 too, since they close the rides early (around 3:30-4pm).

4. Re: Bighorn Mountain Top Lodge- Royal Gorge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2011, 06:18