We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BRB Crystal River Resort ... Anybody stayed there?

Which Carbondale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
158 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
BRB Crystal River Resort ... Anybody stayed there?

Going to Colorado in July. I saw this resort has cabins right on the river. They looked nice on website..but was wondering if anybody has stayed there?

It's close to Carbondale and Redstone. Any other suggestions? Thanks!!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BRB Crystal River Resort ... Anybody stayed there?

I haven't stayed there, and cannot find any review here on TripAdvisor.com, or my usual other reliable travel sites, including Yahoo Travel! But, it is a small "resort" with only 14 cabins, and adjoining RV park, so the odds of someone here on T/A having stayed in the cabins is probably a long-shot.

I did however find a pretty good description of the BRB, and surrounding area & activities here:

www.hikercentral.com/campgrounds/102678.html

Hopefully, you will find that needle-in-a-haystack previous guest from the BRB. :-) It does "look" quite nice, for a "quiet" getaway. Good luck!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
158 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BRB Crystal River Resort ... Anybody stayed there?

Thanks for telling me about the hiker trail website. I looked it up, and it said BRB was a beautiful campsite...that made me feel good! Thanks again.

COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: BRB Crystal River Resort ... Anybody stayed there?

We just spent 3 nights at the BRB Crystal River Resort in a two room cabin. The picture on the website is exactly what the cabin looked like. The bbq and fire pit were right out front of the cabin and we faced the river. The river is fairly loud, but it was a soothing sound. The location is located at the base of Mt Sopris Mountain and the drive back each day from our travels was truly beautiful. Very lush and not as populated as the other cabin sites we saw along our route back. The staff is friendly and helpful. Firewood and ice are available at the campsite and the grocery store in Carbondale is not far at all. The cabins do not have TV's, but you can rent one from the office. The only downfall was the shower as it would go from hot to cold. So if you don't mind soaping while it's hot, stepping back during the cold streak, and rinsing when it turns hot again, its a fantastic place to unwind. We will definitely be going back!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
158 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BRB Crystal River Resort ... Anybody stayed there?

Thanks so much for writing and tellin us...sometimes you wonder if it will look as good as the website photo.

Thanks again! Did you fly fish there...or hike? We like to do both, (Or just sit and read books..by the river side.)

wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BRB Crystal River Resort ... Anybody stayed there?

The BRB is situated near Carbondale - a beautiful location, but honestly that's the best thing about it. We stayed in a 2-room cabin with a kitchenette in July, 2009. "Resort" is a definite misnomer. The BRB is in fact situated on the Crstal River, but it is also situated on a main road. There are cabins, RV sites, and campsites - and the cabins are rustic at best. This would be fine, if the cabins were kept up and the price was substantially lower. Our cabin was not clean, smelled of smoke, and had rusty nails randomly protruding from the walls. The beds were old and sagging, the towels were threadbare, and there was no attention to guest convenience (e.g., not a single hook or hanger for hanging a coat, wet bathing suit, etc.; no bedside lamp; no clock; no soap or shampoo). But, most frustrating, as mentioned by another poster, was the shower. The temperature rapidly cycled between scalding hot and ice cold, so our family named it the "torture shower". The owners, although friendly and quirky, seemed unaware and/or unconcerned about the shower situation, as other guests also complained during our stay. We have stayed in many rustic but lovely and funcional cabins - for half the price. Overall, although I would return to this area, I would NOT return to the BRB.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
158 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BRB Crystal River Resort ... Anybody stayed there?

We did stay at the BrB Cabins. We felt like it was not the "Ritz", but a rustic cabin. The fridge was clean as was the bathroom. The bed linen was clean, but the lights were horrible. Can't read in the bed beause of that. The shower was fine. We stayed in Cabin 3 for two people. I felt like it was the best one for its location to the river.

We loved the Crystal River being about 15 feet away. We thought it was very pretty. The kitchenette was adequate with plates, pans, etc. I did cook our breakfast there and we sat outside in their chairs enjoying the river.

We stayed there four nights and I have to say, we were ready to go to Vail and stay at a real resort. Your right...if they would take a litte extra money and fix them up a tad...they would be wonderful.

I didn't like that they allowed dogs. Next door the people had two...and I always wonder about dogs jumping on the beds, fleas, etc. They barked because the owners left them inside while they went to dinner. (Against the BrB rules...but we just waited it out till they returned from dinner).

Hope this helps you all decide

We didn't regret that we stayed there because of the beautiful river and it was a great base to see Redstone, great hiking around it, and fly-fishing. I guess it is...what it is.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,293 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BRB Crystal River Resort ... Anybody stayed there?

I'm glad you posted a follow-up review of the "resort". Now you can see why in May I suggested you wait to write up your review until after you had stayed there. In May you still had only their website to guide you and you believed it to be more than it turned out to be. Glad Vail didn't let you down. Hope you wrote a review on it in the Vail lodging section.

8. Re: BRB Crystal River Resort ... Anybody stayed there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Carbondale