We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pike's Peak vs Beartooth Hwy

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Pike's Peak vs Beartooth Hwy

I drove on the Beartooth Hwy and Trail Ridge Road and did not have a problem with the heights or drop offs. Considering this, do you think that driving on Pike's Peak will not be a problem, meaning that it won't be any scarier. I like to stop and take photos when the view is good so I don't really want to take the Cog. Thanks

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pike's Peak vs Beartooth Hwy

It's not scary at all, just a matter of preference.

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pike's Peak vs Beartooth Hwy

IMO the Pikes Peak road isn't in the same class as Beartooth Hwy and Trail Ridge Road. It is a steep road winding up a steep mountain, but not worse than the other two roads you described. As usual with mountain driving, you should be more worried about the less experienced mountain drivers not staying on their side, for fear of falling off.

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pike's Peak vs Beartooth Hwy

What I recall is that the part of the road near the top is a dirt road... totally suitable for 2 WD passenger cars but if the moisture is too low, then, the road was dusty. I didn't actually drive it, I took the hiking route from Crags Creek Campground and all I remember was seeing the dust. In terms of hiking Pikes Peak, the Barr Trail is much nicer as you do not encounter the road...

Trail Ridge Road is paved so you wouldn't have that same experience. So is Mt. Evans Road.

I agree, I don't recall any place on the road where you would feel threatened by drop offs or heights.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pike's Peak vs Beartooth Hwy

Hi Prac. As you know we also did the other drives and also Pikes Peak. Very different also because some parts are unpaved as the previous poster has said. Driving up is easy but take care driving down and use lowest gear (but you already knew!). You're climbing up to 14.000 feet in a relatively short time and we had some problems walking at the top because of the high elevation. The views from the summit are stunning and as you expected, I highly would recommend to do the drive yourself.

Tet

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pike's Peak vs Beartooth Hwy

I am reassured and believe that I/we will do the drive ourselves and take lots of photos.

6. Re: Pike's Peak vs Beartooth Hwy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2009, 06:18