We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in the Colorado Springs Area

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san antonio
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in the Colorado Springs Area

I'll be there next week and was wondering if there's anywhere to hike that would be a little bit out in the wilderness possibly, not something touristy like Garden of the Gods. I'm especially interested in seeing wildlife.

Also, what's a good time to get to Seven Falls in the evening when it's lit up if I want to hike around there first? Is the parking bad. It's been a while since I've been there and I can't remember.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,708 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in the Colorado Springs Area

Even though Garden of the Gods is a major tourist attraction in Colo Springs, we were there in the summer and did not see too many people. Go early and you might see deer.

You may also want to look at Mueller State Park west of Colo Springs. Not sure what the snow is like there.

Check this link http://www.cospringstrails.com/

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in the Colorado Springs Area

It's hard to beat Garden of the Gods, but directly across I-24 from Garden of the Gods (just opened to the public in recent years) is Red Rocks canyon. It's a continuation of G of G, just less touristy. North Cheyenne Canyon (where 7 Falls is) has numerous trails as well. Start out at the Starsmore Discovery Center and just follow the mountain stream up. About 3 mi. up from Starsmore is my favorite, Helen Hunt Falls. If you still have energy, a very short distance up from there is an old railroad grade (high up with views,yet very flat). If you need more that that head to Palmer Park. Miles and miles of trails on the east side of town with lots of views overlooking mountains from atop the bluffs. Happy Planning!

Edited: 12 March 2010, 03:41
Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in the Colorado Springs Area

I'd say Red Rocks Canyon and Cheyenne Canyon are your best bets. Also Cheyenne Mnt. State Park has a lot of trails and plenty of deer. =)

4. Re: Hiking in the Colorado Springs Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2010, 06:16