We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Pikes Peak

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Topic
Hiking Pikes Peak

Anyone have a good estimate for how long it takes to get the summit of Pike's Peak by hiking. My husband and I are both healthy and normally run 5 miles a day (in Denver). Websites have shown very differing time estimates...just wanted to know if anyone had any recent, personal experience with hiking.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Pikes Peak

My husband (48) typically does it around 5 hrs. for the race. So I would say around 6 hrs. for a more leisurely hike.

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
681 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Pikes Peak

The ascent using the Barr Trail from Manitou Springs gains over 7000' to the top, and about 14 miles (off the top of my head) in distance. I'd allow for a minimum of 7 hours for the ascent alone -- and that's if you don't have problems with the altitude.

Undoubtedly, springschick's husband does a lot of training at altitude for months before the race, so I'd guess his time will be considerably faster than for someone who is in good shape but hasn't trained for this sort of thing.

Are you planning on hiking down as well, will someone drive you down, or will you take the cog railroad down?

The good news is that Barr Camp is about halfway up the route. That's a good place to take a break, evaluate the weather conditions and how you are feeling, and make a decision to continue up or head back down.

Mentioned in this post
Manitou Springs
Manitou Springs
El Paso County, CO
3. Re: Hiking Pikes Peak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 03:16