We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Requesting a suggested 4 day Colorado itinerary!

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Requesting a suggested 4 day Colorado itinerary!

I've just booked a flight to Colorado Springs in August. Plan is to fly to Colorado Springs, arrive at 9 AM on a Friday. Returning home on following Monday, departing at 5:30 PM. This gives me from 9 AM Friday, all day Saturday, Sunday, and a good portion of the day on Monday. Basically, I see my itinerary has having 4 days, and 3 nights. I am looking for a suggested day by day itinerary, what to see/do, what towns to overnight in.

I do know I want to take the cog railway up to Pikes Peak, and I want to do a drive through Rocky Mountain National Park. Also, interested in visiting either Aspen, or Summit County or both.

Following is a list of attractions that I've noticed:

•Pikes Peak

•Rocky Mountain National Park/Estes Park

•Visit Seven falls

•Garden of the Gods

•Mollie Kathleen Gold Mine in Cripple Creek

•US Mint tour

•Coors Brewery Tour

•Molly Brown House Muesum

•Aspen

•Summit County

•Walk through Georgetown

•Georgetown Loop Railroad

•Glenwood Hot Springs

With regards to the above sights and attractions, it's only just a list of possibilities. Perhaps too many considering I have only 4 days. Also, we are open to other suggested ideas too. The only things on the list that are a "must do" is Pikes Peak and Rocky Mountain National Park. Other than that, I'd like to fill our 4 days with as much sights as possible.

Any suggestions for a day by day itinerary to see and do as much as possible?

Thank you so much.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Requesting a suggested 4 day Colorado itinerary!

you could do Coors and Georgetown and Georgetown Loop when you're heading to Glenwood Springs. You may also consider Colorado National Monument as a drive through on the way there. Glenwood Caverns is a great stop in Glenwood Springs for a tram ride up, great views, cave tour and more.

US Mint I've heard mixed on. In fact the tour opens only on a specific day to get online reservations and it's usually booked pretty much immediately. We tried and gave up. It's not an easy place to get into. There's limited times you can go. It was something to the effect of two weeks in advance or some such thing.

Pikes Peak, Seven Falls and Garden of the Gods are good. I would add Cheyenne Mtn. Zoo and Will Roger's Shrine to the Sun for it's unique location, if you have the time. The Flying W Ranch Chuckwagon is also nice if you've never been to one before.

Day trip possibilities are go to the Royal Gorge Bridge and Park in Canon City (one hour plus) or nearby Woodland Park (about 15 minutes from Colorado Springs area) is a pretty area to peruse.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,703 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Requesting a suggested 4 day Colorado itinerary!

Hmmm, well, for starters---yes, you have way too much on your list! (and this is coming from someone who likes to pack stuff in...hey, you can relax when you get home, right?)

Since one of your musts is Rocky Mountain National Park, IMO you will have to skip Aspen, Glenwood and Cripple Creek this trip, and Summit County will be a "drive through" for the most part.

You could do this several ways, but if you really want to include the Denver Mint, you'll need to see what time you can get tickets and plan the rest of the trip around your tour time. I think, with the time you have, that you should skip it. The Molly Brown House is closed on Mondays, so keep that in mind. That's one reason I'm going to suggest you start your trip in Denver rather than going the opposite direction & driving through Denver on your way back to Colorado Springs.

Here's one idea:

Friday: Arrive Colorado Springs. Rent car, head for Denver. See the Molly Brown House, some of downtown Denver if you wish, and the Coors tour (or the Mint if you get tickets for today) I'd also include the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden and/or the Clear Creek History Park or the drive up Lookout Mountain to the Buffalo Bill Museum & gravesite. Overnight Golden area, west Denver, Westminster (there are several hotels including a nice LaQuinta that's usually reasonably priced) or Boulder. You could stay in downtown Denver if you wish, too, (restaurants, nightlife) but you'll have to pay for parking.

Saturday: Drive the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway to Estes Park. Spend the morning exploring some of the park (maybe tour the Stanley Hotel if that interests you) and then drive Trail Ridge Road to Grand Lake for the night.

Sunday: Drive to Colorado Springs via Winter Park, Georgetown, Breckenridge. Time your drive so that you can get to Garden of the Gods before sunset.

Monday: first cog rail trip up Pikes Peak, then spend the rest of the day exploring Colorado Springs/Manitou Springs until time to head for the airport...Seven Falls, Helen Hunt Falls, etc.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,703 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Requesting a suggested 4 day Colorado itinerary!

hatchpal, I'm not seeing how Colorado National Monument in Grand Junction would be a possibility on the way to Glenwood Springs unless part of a large loop through Montrose to Grand Junction then back east on I70, but I don't think swdke has the time for that if including Rocky Mtn NP. What was your idea for the route?

And even Glenwood Springs would be stretching it, IMO, esp. if including Rocky Mountain National Park.

Colorado Springs to Buena Vista (Mt. Princeton Hot Springs would be a fun place for the first night) then Twin Lakes>Independence Pass>Aspen>Glenwood> Georgetown>Mt. Evans>Denver>Colorado Springs would make a good itinerary, too, if swdke were willing to forego Rocky Mountain National Park.

Edited: 14 March 2012, 14:54
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Requesting a suggested 4 day Colorado itinerary!

If she wanted to do Denver, then Golden for Coors, etc., then Georgetown I thought on the way to Glenwood to continue through Grand Junction going to Colorado National Monument. I was just thinking it was still in that neck of the woods considering some of the other items on her checklist. Its further to Grand Junction than I'd considered. Still it's a good possible future suggestion perhaps.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Requesting a suggested 4 day Colorado itinerary!

Going up to 14.000' the day of arrival coming from the low lands is not a good idea. Altitude sickness can occur. Take care. Better to do last day as in the MissP's plan.

6. Re: Requesting a suggested 4 day Colorado itinerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 04:42
Get answers to your questions about Colorado Springs