We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A/C Air conditioning in Colorado Springs

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
A/C Air conditioning in Colorado Springs

Our family has been looking for a rental home for July. We are surprised to find that most (all but 1) do not have central A/C. In July the temps average in the mid-80s which is very hot to us. We always run A/C if its above the high 70s. I am having a hard time buying that it will not be uncomfortable. Would love to hear some opinions on that...

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A/C Air conditioning in Colorado Springs

Funny story. My first year I had the air conditioning man come out because the air didn't feel like it was "cold" enough for my in-laws who were coming out for a visit from Houston. They blast the air-con night & day 350 days a year. After about 30 minutes walking around the property, he came to the front door and said, "Ma'am you don't have an air conditioner".

I have an air conditioner now, and we only run it a handful of times a year. Our 80 degrees is different than yours as we have an extremely dry climate. Hope that helps shed some light. I might ask if they have fans.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A/C Air conditioning in Colorado Springs

If you can't find A/C --and I hope you do-- then make sure the rental has ceiling fans. It may be dry but you still sweat in July in Colorado. It's gets hot and don't believe anyone who says it doesn't.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A/C Air conditioning in Colorado Springs

Welcome to Colorado, the land without air conditioning. Many homes are built throughout Colorado without central A/C. I live at 5000 altitude and newly built subdivisions have homes without A/C. There is no or very low humidity here. It is quite common for the low and high temperatures in a day to be 30 degrees apart. The high for the day in July usually occurs between 4:00 and 6:00 pm. When the sun goes down, the temperature cools quickly. People open their windows and let in the cool night air and use ceiling fans.

I am originally from the South, the land of air conditioning. I vacationed in Colorado for years before moving here. There are places and times when you do need A/C. I prefer to have it when traveling in the summer in Colorado even at higher elevations because I am accustomed to it, not necessarily because it is too warm.

If you plan on spending a great deal of time in the rental home during the day, you might want and need the A/C. Most people on vacation are out enjoying Colorado and are not in their vacation lodging during the warmest part of the day.

When you look at lodging reviews for Colorado, you do sometimes see negative comments about the lack of A/C but that is rare. Apparently, most visitors manage just fine without it. They are enamored with the majesty.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A/C Air conditioning in Colorado Springs

We get many a visitor from Dallas in the summer (escaping the heat)! The sun can get intense around noon, but for the most of the summer we get nice cloud cover in the late afternoons. Evenings are perfect for summer bar- b-ques or a stroll around the neighborhood.

Edited: 01 May 2012, 04:08
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,032 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A/C Air conditioning in Colorado Springs

Some of the homes may have an evaporative cooler (sometimes called a swamp cooler) rather than central air conditioning, so you may want to ask about it. Evaporative coolers usually work well in Colorado. If it were us, and we were going to a higher elevation like Breckenridge, Aspen, Taylor Park, Telluride, etc. we might do without air conditioning or evaporative cooler, but we would hesitate to book lodging without some form of cooling in Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Glenwood Springs, Montrose, Grand Junction, etc. especially if we were going to be spending a lot of time in the room (or house) for socializing or cooking meals. If you're going to be out during the middle of the day, then you may be able to get by without it.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,032 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A/C Air conditioning in Colorado Springs

i had a home in the springs with A/C ... which i turned on religiously once a year .. to check if it still worked . now i am in divide at 9300 feet and cannot understand why the builder bothered with an A/C here ... yes it gets hot but never to a point where i would want to shut out the fresh mountain air and the breeze and turn on an A/C

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,487 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A/C Air conditioning in Colorado Springs

Yep another one chiming in that does just fine without A/C. It really is quite rare. Yes you do need a fan. We have a ceiling fan and something you may never have heard of, an attic fan! Run both and often sleep under a quilt.

Texranger, I do tell the truth btw, at least My truth! I have lived in Colorado for 20 years without AC.

Edited: 02 May 2012, 02:59
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
153 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A/C Air conditioning in Colorado Springs

I honestly don't know what you are talking about. We have AC, pretty much all my friends and neighbors have AC too. May be you are looking at old homes only?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A/C Air conditioning in Colorado Springs

"It's gets hot and don't believe anyone who says it doesn't."

As long as we're going with absolutes, the only people who complain about it being hot in Colorado are Texans used to living indoors in a 68degree climate controlled bubble 24 hours a day. They complain about it in their hotel reviews from time to time but if you don't fall into that category then you should be just fine with the outside daytime and nightime temperatures.

Colorado Springs...
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A/C Air conditioning in Colorado Springs

I've lived in three different homes in the Springs - none of them had A/C. The current one is an older home, the other two were newer. It's never been a big deal to not have it.