We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

? about cave of the winds wind walker adventure

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Topic
? about cave of the winds wind walker adventure

Hi - Our one full day in Colorado springs will be during the pike peak hill climb. We will not be going on the cog rail. Thinking we will walk through Garden of the gods, have lunch in Manitou Springs and looking at the wind walker Adventure at Cave of the winds (not the caves themselves) The rest of the day spending at Broadmoor. Anyway, has anyone done this "challenge course" at Cave of the winds. If so, would an 18 and 16 year old think it was cool? Not sure if its even possible to do it without paying for a cave tour. Anyway, any info. is appreciated. Thanks!

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ? about cave of the winds wind walker adventure

I think they would enjoy it. The price would be separate from the cave tour. If you are coming from Manitou or Garden of the Gods, it's not much out of your way and they can decide for themselves. I think the view from the Caves is really great, worth the drive up the steep, winding road even if you don't do the coarse. It hangs a little bit over the gorge, so not for the faint of heart, but they do harness you,

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: ? about cave of the winds wind walker adventure

Thank you springschick. I just noticed they will be adding a zipline in June. Worth a quick drive up there to see. I have to say I am surprising myself by not taking the time to do the cog rail OR the Durango-Silverton train, which are must do's that we would usually fit in. I hope I won't regret it.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ? about cave of the winds wind walker adventure

That's really a tough call, tqluvtotrvl. Our time spent at the top of Pike's Peak after the cog ride was a memory and a view my kids and I will never forget. It was breathtaking, and a chance of a lifetime to see. We did do the Cave of the Winds tour, but not the wind walker adventure. If you decide not to do it, you could always plan on the cog (or even a car drive up to the top of Pike's Peak) as a Plan B.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ? about cave of the winds wind walker adventure

The Cog was our absolute favorite of the Colorado Springs/Manitou area and in our top ten of places visited with our family. It was a special three hour tour to take in and simply enjoy and the views from the top are grand as well. That being said you have to do what time allows and what you think is the best fit for your family. Sometimes adventure involving personally doing things rather than sitting there watching them can be more fun. It all depends. If it's the kids only time there before going out in the world I would highly recommend doing the cog now.

Edited: 29 May 2012, 18:17
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: ? about cave of the winds wind walker adventure

It does look beautiful! I think I have learned that our family (especially with the amount of driving on this trip) that we do better with activity rather than more viewing. We will have been to TRR in RMNP earlier in the trip too. I won't rule it out, but will it by ear, depending on our mood.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
153 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ? about cave of the winds wind walker adventure

I have done the SKywalker at the Cave. It is very cool! Your kids will enjoy it if they are ok with heights.

7. Re: ? about cave of the winds wind walker adventure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 13:40