We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for good skiing from Colorado Springs

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Windermere, Florida
Level Contributor
151 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for good skiing from Colorado Springs

I am working on our family ski trip during Christmas break. There is currently a great deal on flights to Colorado Springs whereas I can't seem to find a deal anywhere else this year. I have visited before, but have never flown in with the purpose of skiing from that location. We expect to ski a week so a drive is not a problem. But, if would appreciate any feedback on most sensible routes during late December.

My husband and teenage sons are all excellent skiiers (black+) and I prefer the blues. We skiied Vail a few years ago and loved it but I would prefer a new place this time.

Many thanks.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for good skiing from Colorado Springs

Breckenridge is 2 hrs. away with Keystone and Copper a tad farther. Monarch is a little closer (in the other direction) but much smaller. My husband often makes a day trip of Breck. as lodging is high there during ski season. But I don't know about doing that for a week. The roads will be clear (so skiiers can get to their destination). So the positives for staying in the Springs, Monarch and Breckenridge are far enough apart that the weather conditions can be totally different. If it's too windy and cold in one place, there's a good chance that the other has better conditions. Lodging & food will be much cheaper.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for good skiing from Colorado Springs

I would come up to Summit County where you can choose to ski

Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin & Copper Mountain.

Personally, Copper Mountain is my favorite resort. But the nice thing for you if you hit Breck is they typically offer multi-day passes where you can use them at the other resorts (A-Basin & Keysone) + if you buy a long enough multi-day pass, you can hit Vail for a day.

I would choose to stay in Breck, buy a multi-day pass and depending on the length of the pass, if you have extra days, buy a day pass at Copper Mountain and use it on the weekend when Breck tends to get a little crowded

Obviously, X-mas break will be max $$$$ for lodging anywhere.

If you need to save a few $, check Frisco out as it should be a little cheaper than Breckenridge. I know just about every place in Summit, so if you get to the point where you are wondering about complexes, let me know.

Matt

Windermere, Florida
Level Contributor
151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for good skiing from Colorado Springs

Thanks so much for the posts. I booked our flights for 12/25 to 1/1. My husband really wants to return to Vail, but we will try to split the days up. Lodging will obviously be a concern as it'll be $500 a day for just the lift tickets, but this the only time we can all go together with college schedules. Any suggestions for accommodations would be great. We are flexible with location. Since we stayed at Vail before and I would like to ski Breckenridge and possibly a day elsewhere, we're open for the best deal.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,688 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for good skiing from Colorado Springs

Just to be clear, you're flying into COS but plan to stay up at a resort, right? While it's not a mainstream gateway, it does give you back door access and a means of avoiding the I-70 rush (most of it) from Denver. You should also look into buying an Epic Pass, which would give you access to Breck, Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone, etc. www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes/epic-7-day.aspx

While it's probably too late for this, you might also checkout Utah where you could easily stay in Salt Lake City and be an easy drive up to more than a half-dozen resorts.

Have fun.

Windermere, Florida
Level Contributor
151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for good skiing from Colorado Springs

Yes, thanks. The airfare was less than half the price to any other ski destination in the US so that is why we went with it. We skied the Canyons, Deer Valley, Alta, Snowbird and Brighton when we stayed at the Canyons a few years ago and that is definitely an easy place to access. Jackson Hole and Whistler are probably our favorites thus far, though. Although, my husband really enjoyed the challenge at Vail and is looking forward to returning since we booked the tickets.

Thanks for the help.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,161 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for good skiing from Colorado Springs

Crested Butte would also be a great option from Colorado Springs. Not as crowded as the resorts nearer Denver and likely more reasonable lodging, too.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for good skiing from Colorado Springs

I was just thinking the same thing.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for good skiing from Colorado Springs

U prob know this but a 5 day multi-pass at Breck will also get you 2 days a Vail. I see that the Epic Pass price expires May 28. This may be your best deal.

Summit Co. resorts during holidays are crazy busy and expensive. Bring patience in abundance. Crested Butte, Aspen still $$$ but you'll have thinner crowds.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,942 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for good skiing from Colorado Springs

Aspen is more expensive. Crested Butte will likely be substantially cheaper compared to the I-70 resorts. As far as crowds go, I had family in town this past year and so I skied Crested Butte nearly every day between 12/25 and 1/1. There was a short lift line (3-5 min) at the base area to get up onto the mountain but that was the only line we waited each day.

I get the appeal of the convenience with front range resorts but understand that you will be spending a substantial amount of the day waiting in lift lines during the holidays.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,720 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations for good skiing from Colorado Springs

How about Taos? Just to confuse things!

Edited: 29 May 2012, 16:48