We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fires in Colorado?

Creston, Iowa
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fires in Colorado?

I just read today that fires are now in Estes Park and Colorado Springs. I was taking my grandson to Colorado 7/13-7/21 in those areas. Should i change my plans and go elsewhere? He has never been to the mountaiins and I was looking forward to taking him there. Thank you for your help.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fires in Colorado?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k55306… is the thread that is concerning the waldo canyon fire.

by mid july, it will be long out

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fires in Colorado?

Agree that by your scheduled trip time the fires will be out. Very possible that the fires in those areas you mentioned will not be a concern by later this week.

Edited: 24 June 2012, 18:21
Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fires in Colorado?

The fire in Estes Park is out and in 'mop up', according to today's paper denverpost.com/news/ci_20924636/estes-park-f…

Gary, Indiana
Level Contributor
883 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fires in Colorado?

Well I think Garden of the Gods will be fine. Hate to be brutal but they will throw down the bodies of our city council to protect that treasure.

Depending on what else you want to do there could be some impact. I don't think you have to worry unless you want to hit some of the nearby forests.Maybe Cave of the Winds but if you want to go caving stick to the east coast or New Mexico Carlsbad.

It should be mopped up by then. I suspect within 24-48 hours if significant changes don't happen they will pull out all the "guns". CO Springs has too many people here that they would never allow it to get too touched. Perhaps that's being a bit too hopeful but I think it's realistic.

Also, a lot of military interests here so think about that.

I am very glad they got Estes Park cleaned up. It did not touch RMNP.

Once concern I do have is that national forests could go on lock down. That happened when we had the Hayman fire. Interestingly enough I was within .5 miles where and when that started (hey don't look at me they caught that lunatic that did it). I watched it burn after with moved to the other side of 77 that night. Terrible. Ruined places I truly loved.

Anyway I digress. The tourist attractions in general should be just fine. CO Springs proper should look nice and pretty. Enjoy although I wish it would cool off.

Creston, Iowa
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fires in Colorado?

Thank you all so much. I will go ahead and book my rooms! I love Colorado!!!

Colorado Springs...
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fires in Colorado?

Yep, I agree, you'll be fine. Of course, none of us can predict what will happen between now and then, but I wouldn't change my travel plans.

Have a wonderful trip!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,764 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fires in Colorado?

Consider getting travel insurance, smart to have for every trip. Then if something else pops up, you'll be covered.

8. Re: Fires in Colorado?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 10:17