We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pikes Peak - by car or cograil

Houston, Texas
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pikes Peak - by car or cograil

My husband and I are going to be in Colorado Springs in August. We are going to rent a car while we are in Colorado but I would like to know what would be a better way to go to Pike's Peak. Should I take to Cograil or drive in the rental? what do you think?

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Pikes Peak - by car or cograil

the cog was a three hr. round trip ride.

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Pikes Peak - by car or cograil

All paved all the way to top now. Rental cars don't have issues rental car DRIVERS are usually the problem:-) They either drive in the middle of the road to avoid the edges or they go so fast the brakes are smoking by the time they get back to Glen Cove. I personally still prefer to drive.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
24 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Pikes Peak - by car or cograil

Our extended family was in Colorado Springs for a wedding last week. I took the cog railway and enjoyed it. The train was full but I didn't find it uncomfortable. I wasn't interested in eating or buying souvenirs, so crowds in the shop didn't bother me.....just the usual long line for the ladies room. My cousins took the cog railway up the day before and rode bikes down and absolutely loved it. Other family members drove up and down the next day. I heard more about fear than joy from them. The women commented that the few guardrails (mostly no guardrails) were full of dents...not reassuring.

Edited: 07 September 2012, 01:16
colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Pikes Peak - by car or cograil

Welcome to TA maga. Thanks for your perspective. This is the first year that it is totally paved all the way to the top. Just remember,if you are driving, you are at the mercy of the speed of the one in front of you.

Edwards, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Pikes Peak - by car or cograil

The Cog Railway is so much fun. The views are nicer since the railway runs up through the forest. Also you won't have to worry about your brakes. The trip is 3 hours round trip on the railway. Either way make sure you print the coupon for the free donuts at the top! I put a few pictures and a description of the trip here (as well as a link to the donut coupon.) - …blogspot.com/2012/09/pikes-peak-by-cog-rail…

KCK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Pikes Peak - by car or cograil

Everyone is different, one of the reasons I didn't like the cog railway was the fact that all you saw were trees. I preferred the wide open views on the drive up.

27. Re: Pikes Peak - by car or cograil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 10:16