We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tourist transportation in Colorado springs?

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
tourist transportation in Colorado springs?

I'm hoping to visit Colorado for the first time in August. Is it possible to visit some attractions without a car? I'm interested especially in Pikes Peak rail and somewhere for gold panning. We are looking at hitting Glenwood springs first and since that is a resort town that had some decent options. I saw the CO bus system online but couldn't figure out if it went anywhere near the pikes peak base. (myself and 10 year old)

Thanks!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,711 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tourist transportation in Colorado springs?

I'm a bit confused...you are visiting Glenwood Springs and then headed to Colorado Springs? These 2 are miles and hours apart with Glenwood Springs in the western side of Colorado. You will need a car if you are going to Glenwood, and I would keep it to get to Colo Springs.

Did you mean Manitou Springs which is in west Colorado Springs????

If you are staying in Manitou Springs you probably will have a 1/2 mile+ walk to the Cog Railway. May be easier to get a cab.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tourist transportation in Colorado springs?

Colorado is a very large state, and distances between cities are vast compared to Eastern areas, and require lots of driving. We aren't blessed with the wonderful mass transportation options in the West that you have in NYC. Best option for transportation is going to be a rental car to get to Glenwood Springs, return to Colorado Springs, and then get around Colorado Springs.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tourist transportation in Colorado springs?

I'm assuming you are flying in to Denver? Most people tour by rental car, but there are a few options if you are unwilling or unable to rent a car.

You can take Amtrak to Glenwood Springs from Denver. It's a beautiful trip How were you planning to get to Colorado Springs?

There is FREX (Front Range Express) that you could take between Denver and Colorado Springs, and maybe some of the Colorado Springs folks can help you with the logistics of that.

Once you get to Colorado Springs, there is some bus service, as you've found. I agree, the Colorado Springs transit site is confusing! I guess you could probably call them to get directions for which bus or buses to take. But try getting transit directions on one of the mapping services like google maps, I did that and see that the #3 bus goes to a stop at Manitou and Ruxton, which is near the Pike's Peak Cog Rail station. I'm hoping some of the Colorado Springs folks will confirm whether this is correct.

There are also some bus tours that might work for you if you don't want to drive.

Colorado Springs...
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
4,227 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tourist transportation in Colorado springs?

A car is definitely the way to go. Is there a reason why you don't want to get a car or drive?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,920 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tourist transportation in Colorado springs?

FREX (FrontRange Express) bus service will be discontinued.. but i think it runs through the end of august.. that would get you to the springs . getting around in the area without a car would be simply miserable to achieve - unless you want to take taxicabs around

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tourist transportation in Colorado springs?

We will actually be taking the amtrak train (out of Chicago)so I'm glad to hear that it's a beautiful route. Amtrak is flexible so my destination is up in the air right now. If we do go to Glenwood springs, we would eventually take greyhound(or similar) to Colorado springs, and then again to Albuquerqe.

Thank you especially Misswestslope for the bus tips!

7. Re: tourist transportation in Colorado springs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2013, 10:16