We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colorado Springs area Trip Report 8/3-8/7

Auburn, NH
Level Contributor
27 posts
214 reviews
Save Topic
Colorado Springs area Trip Report 8/3-8/7

This is part 1 of a 2 part trip report. My boyfriend and I took our first trip to CO, spending 4 nights in Colorado Springs, and 2 in Estes Park. We are in our late 20s, and are from NH.

8/3/13

We started the trip with a 2pm EST flight from Manchester, NH to Denver. When we got on the plane in Manchester they informed us that the flight normally takes about 4 hours, but it would take 4 1/2 that day because of a 150 knot headwind. They were wrong. We ended up circling Denver for over an hour because of severe thunderstorms in every quadrant of the city. By the time we got on the ground, we'd been in the air for 5 1/2 hours and we were DONE. Too bad we still had to drive to CO Springs. We got our luggage (quite the cluster, since when the hold was lifted they started dropping planes out of the sky left and right), ate, and headed for Dollar. Despite the complaints I've read on TA, we had a very positive, low pressure experience. But I think the guy was more concerned with the possibility of a tornado than with trying to upsell us. He wanted to get out of work early. I was concerned about the possibility of a tornado too. That's one CO thing this East Coaster didn't care to see.

The drive to CO Springs was harrowing, as the torrential rains started the second we made it into the rental car. I thought about staying put, but with water rising around us, my instinct was to get to higher ground. Thankfully, the rain settled down a bit by Aurora, but the storm chased us to CO Springs. The drive ended up taking almost 2 1/2 hours between weather and accident related traffic, which seemed like an eternity, being that we were on East Coast time, and had already spent so long traveling.

Since we knew what the storm held, and we knew it was right on our heels, we decided to park the car before checking into the Wyndham Grand Mining Exchange, in Colorado Springs. We had decided before the trip not to pay for valet ($18/day), and had mapped out where to park the car. We found a spot in the Kiowa Street Parking Garage, and hauled our luggage the block to the hotel. We were greeted by friendly doormen, and a smiling girl at the front desk. She was quick to inform us that we had received a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite. We were excited, as we had a 30% discount on a regular room to begin with, so we couldn't believe the deal we were getting, but we had trouble showing it. We really were exhausted. It was closing in on midnight to our bodies. Thankfully, we were the only ones checking in, and the process was very quick. It was raining before we left the front desk. Pretty soon we were in our room, 322. At that point, we woke up a bit. We just couldn't get over how beautiful the room was, or how little we were paying for it. Remember, we're in our 20s. Vacations are a priority, and I travel more than the average 26 year old, but we go budget. Eventually we settled down to rest up for a busy day of sight-seeing.

8/4/13

We were awake EARLY, between hunger (airport food just didn't hold us), and being early risers on the East Coast. That wait for restaurants to open for breakfast was a challenge, though we were thrilled to see the sun was shining after the previous night's deluge. But they did eventually open, and we were at Open Easy, about a block from The Mining Exchange, within minutes of opening. We were quite pleased with the variety, the service, and the food at Open Easy. Once we had sufficiently filled up on pancakes, we headed to 7-11 for some bottles of water, and then found the car and we were off to Garden of the Gods. Wow! is about all I can say. Neither one of us had ever seen red rock formations before, so this was just incredible, and we both walked around saying "Wow" and "Incredible" throughout the park. We walked a bit on the trails near the main parking area, and we also did the Siamese Twins Trail. By then it was getting quite hot, and us East Coasters were hungry, so we decided to move on to our next stop.

The next stop was the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. Our first stop when we got there was food. Based on comments on TA, we tried Overlook, and we were very pleased. Our pizzas were fantastic, and reasonably priced for zoo food. After eating, we checked out the different animal exhibits. We were VERY impressed with this zoo. Beautiful setting and very well done exhibits. We would be happy to return.

By mid-afternoon it was clouding over, so we decided it might be time for an indoor attraction. We had already learned not to underestimate CO weather! So we headed for the Ghost Town Museum. The woman taking money for admission was very friendly. We were definitely surprised by the quantity of stuff in this museum, none of the exhibits seemed like things we hadn't seen in places outside of CO. Interesting, but not a must-do.

By this point, it was late afternoon, so we headed back to the hotel to rest, and figure out where we were going for dinner. About the time we figured out where we would be eating, the fire alarm started blaring in the hotel. We broke every rule I tell the kids I work with in a school and grabbed our jackets, camera bags, etc, and headed outside. We waited around for a few minutes, and then decided it was time to find dinner. Since it was raining, and we were thinking about going back to Garden of the Gods that evening, we went to the garage to get the car, and drove to Phantom Brewing Company. Service was good, food was good, and my better half loved the beer selection. After dinner, it was still raining, so we decided to call it a night. We returned to the hotel, where everyone had just been cleared to return to the rooms. We never did find out what happened, but there was no smoke smell, and no water damage in our room, so we didn't really care. We were exhausted.

8/5/13

We were up EARLY this morning. Well, early by CO standards;) We had tickets for the 8am train up Pike's Peak, so breakfast was cereal bars in the room, and we were on the road about 6:30. The drive to the train station was quick, with few cars on the road at that hour. It was easy to find parking at that hour, and I would go early for just that reason. We picked up our tickets and explored the gift shop a bit before the train arrived. The train departed at 8, and it was an awesome experience. HIGHLY recommend it. We returned to the Manitou Springs station about 11:30 am and hit the gift store before driving into town in search of lunch. Seeing the parking nightmare that the area around the station had become made us very happy to have taken the early train.

Lunch was at the Stagecoach Inn, which had a neat atmosphere, but average food. The better half needs to learn to read TA reviews! After lunch, we headed for Cave of the Winds, which we loved. Again, this was a very different experience for us, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The clouds started building again at the end of the tour, so we called it a day. Dinner tonight was at Jack Quinns Irish Pub, again about a block from the hotel, and again, an enjoyable meal. My boyfriend loved the late happy hours in CO. They seemed to last until 6 everywhere, which is quite a bit later than most places at home. Jack Quinns was one of those places.

8/6/13

Our last full day in the Springs started with another pancake breakfast at Over Easy. Again, excellent food and service. We were sad that we wouldn't have time to eat there again. After breakfast, we made the drive out to Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument. This was not crowded at all. They were out of trail maps, but the girl in the visitor center went over a map with us, pointing us in the direction of the Petrified trail, which was perfect. Seeing the petrified redwoods was what brought us all the way to Florissant. We loved walking around the national monument. So beautiful, and for a couple New Englanders, it was VERY cool to see the Petrified Redwoods. We were glad we got there by mid-morning though, as it got quite hot. We could have spent a lot of time there, exploring other trails, but we had lots more we wanted to do that day, so we decided to move along after the Petrified trail.

From Florissant, we headed for the Manitou Cliff Dwelling Museum. We enjoyed this. It was neat to be able to walk through the dwelling, and the indoor museum was huge! It's not a place I need to return to, but we were both very happy to have gone once.

Time for lunch. We decided to try to find something for lunch in Old Colorado City. We ended up at Pizzeria Rustica, and we were glad we did. Great lunch.

After lunch we returned to Garden of the Gods, to see what we had missed on Sunday: Balanced Rock. I know a lot of people complain that there is cement holding it together, but being from NH, where various cables held the Old Man of the Mountain in place for years, we understood (and seeing the behavior of visitors, appreciated) the need. We were just impressed that a formation like that had ever formed.

From Garden of the Gods, we moved on to the Olympic Training Center, where we arrived about 5 minutes before the movie to begin the 3pm tour started. Great movie intro and great tour. Our tour guide was very enthusiastic and a wealth of information. It was quite inspirational to visit this attraction.

After the tour it was back to downtown, where we dumped off belongings at the hotel, and then walked a few blocks for dinner at Rasta Pasta. Again, great meal. The rest of the evening was spent preparing to leave early the next morning for the final leg of the trip: RMNP!

Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Aurora
Aurora
Colorado
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
13,528 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
3,897 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Manitou Springs
Manitou Springs
El Paso County, CO
Jack Quinn's Irish Pub & Restaurant
Jack Quinn's Irish Pub...
490 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Over Easy
Over Easy
207 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument
Florissant Fossil Beds...
288 Reviews
Florissant, CO
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Pizzeria Rustica
Pizzeria Rustica
398 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Olympic Training Center
Olympic Training Center
1,205 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
1. Re: Colorado Springs area Trip Report 8/3-8/7

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 August 2013, 22:05
Auburn, NH
Level Contributor
27 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colorado Springs area Trip Report 8/3-8/7

I appreciate the feedback! I've always appreciated detailed trip reports, as they can provide such a wealth of information, so I'm genuinely curious... what kind of details would be better left unsaid in future trip reports?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,056 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colorado Springs area Trip Report 8/3-8/7

wildcatsfan86, thank you for a nice, detailed report. It will surely help others planning a trip to Colorado Springs. The DE's and frequent posters appreciate it a lot when folks report back! You'd be surprised how many people don't report back or say thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Auburn, NH
Level Contributor
27 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colorado Springs area Trip Report 8/3-8/7

alli, these forums (and the review pages) were SUCH a wealth of information for trip planning. There were so few questions I needed to ask prior to the trip, because there was so much information already out there. I think that's why I really made it a point to write trip reports and to write reviews. TA provided me with so much planning assistance and it's the best way I could give back. We only started planning this trip in May, and quite honestly, planning a trip to a place neither one of us had been before on such short notice (I usually have trips scheduled about 6-7 months in advanced), seemed overwhelming. TA made it much less overwhelming, and helped us put together a fantastic trip!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,624 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colorado Springs area Trip Report 8/3-8/7

Thanks for the trip report. Appreciate you sharing your experiences.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colorado Springs area Trip Report 8/3-8/7

I too love detailed trip reports, as do many on TA. I particularly enjoyed yours, wildcatsfan, since I used to live in Manitou.

Thanks!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colorado Springs area Trip Report 8/3-8/7

It sounds like you had a rough start, but after that it was all uphill! I enjoyed reading both of your trip reports.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colorado Springs area Trip Report 8/3-8/7

Thanks for the report. We are going in a couple weeks, and your thread helped me out a lot. I hope it's dry by the time we get there!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,048 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colorado Springs area Trip Report 8/3-8/7

great report! :) loved seeing it all thru your eyes.

10. Re: Colorado Springs area Trip Report 8/3-8/7

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 06:21