We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting my children in Colorado Springs

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting my children in Colorado Springs

Hello,

I will be visiting my children and grandson in Colorado Springs at the beginning of October, and it will be my first time there. I will be staying at their residence and won't need hotel accommodations, but I might stay one night at the Marriott. I would love to do a few half-day trips to explore the area during my 6 day stay. It would be great if you could give me some suggestions on what I should definitely include in this first visit. I love the outdoors as well as sightseeing, and I will do most of my activities with my 7 year old grandson. If you have itinerary ideas, I would greatly appreciate them. Thank you in advance!

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting my children in Colorado Springs

Canon City offers up a train ride through the Royal Gorge. It is about an hour from CS. They were somewhat affected by fires this summer, but most likely would be open for the train.

Woodland Park is only 30 min. away. You could start with breakfast at the Hungry Bear (big pancakes) in a funky building. Rocky Mt. Dinosaur Center is practically next to it. The Wolf and Wildlife Center is just a few minutes away in nearby Divide, CO. Florissant Fossil Beds would be next, just up the road from Divide.

In Cripple Creek, a unique mining town, Mollie Kathleen gives tours of it's operating mine. My kid's really enjoyed it when they were about his age. The town itself is a living museum.

Around Garden of the Gods, you could take in the park, pizza at Hell's Kitchen in Manitou Springs, and some time at the Penny Arcade. Manitou has had some flooding issues, but they are working hard to keep visitors happy to return. I love just walking around this one-street town. Driving up and down the streets here is also an adventure.

Cave of the Winds, Manitou Cliff Dwellings, Santa's Village North Pole, are all close to one another.

Make your grandson take you to the visitor's center in Garden of the Gods. There's a wealth of information there, and the best views of the park.

Olympic Training Center you could combine with a walk around Memorial Park. There's a great playground for kids there as well. Sertich Ice Center accommodates the younger kids with push barrels for new learners. A huge skate park there as well (good for skate-watching). Colorado College is known for their Ice Hockey. I see they have a game at the World Arena on the 5th of Oct. That might be something he would enjoy.

Of course Denver has the big museums. They are all grouped together.

Our Zoo, however, is tops!! I'm sure that will be on your list.

Have fun planning! Enjoy your stay in Colorado Springs.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting my children in Colorado Springs

Thank you so much for your detailed response! It all sounds like so much fun. I am going to start reading about each of your suggestions, and then I will see how much I can cram into my few days. I am getting excited!

Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting my children in Colorado Springs

I am a Colorado Springs native and have lived here my whole life. Here is my list of things you should consider...

1) Paint Mines - Calhan, CO - 20-40 minutes east of the Springs. This place is very impressive. It's a series of hoodos an rock formations where Native Americans gathered pigments for their painting.

2) Bear Creek Nature Center and Fountian Creek Nature Center

These two places are drastically different in terrain and ecosystems but both worth seeing. Both places have great trail systems and nature centers that are worth seeing.

3) The Pueblo Riverwalk in Pueblo, CO is worth seeing. It's a nice outdoor walk and has paddle boats.

4) A trip to the Springs without a walk through Manitou Springs is a trip not worth having.

5) The WWII Aviation Museum is a good place to visit.

6) The Wolf Center in Divide, CO requires a reservation, but it's a must see.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting my children in Colorado Springs

I appreciate your suggestions. Do you know if any of these were affected by the recent flooding?

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting my children in Colorado Springs

Only North Cheyenne Canon ( Helen Hunt Falls and 7 Falls) were affected. The Royal Gorge Train (In Canon City) is open however, the rest of the park is closed til next summer.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting my children in Colorado Springs

Great suggestions above. The Cheyenne Mtn. Zoo is a must, too bad the Will Rogers Shrine to the Sun is closed indefinitely (flooding issues). http://www.cmzoo.org/

The Pioneers Museum is a great FREE museum to check out in an ornate old courthouse. http://www.cspm.org/

Fargo's is a great fun atmosphere for enjoying a pizza meal http://www.fargospizza.com/

We enjoy Woodland Park and all the area has to offer as mentioned above. I second those plans.

Garden of the Gods, everyone has to have their picture taken at Balancing Rock.

Helen Hunt Falls (check flood status I thought some of the area is ok now) and Starsmore Discovery Center (FREE) and right nearby it are great.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting my children in Colorado Springs

These are all great suggestions. Thank you everyone! So far we've visited Garden of the Gods and hiked the Siamese Twin trail out there. We took the cog railway to Pikes Peak, and we also enjoyed that, but not as much as Garden of the Gods. Has anyone any feedback about Palmer Park? I'm so glad I found this forum. You guys are great for the best advice!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting my children in Colorado Springs

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33364-d53… TA feedback is great. I'll have to add it to our list as well as a few others I've come across by way of suggestions since our last visit.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting my children in Colorado Springs

My favorite trails in Palmer Park, start across the street from the dog park on Maizeland. Then when you tire of that drive up the hill til you come to Lazy Land. This park is like 25 mi. of trails. But the first hike gives you a hike through the boulders, and the 2nd with the views. You could literally hike here all day.

Monument Park is also a good one, If you park close to Boulder and Cascade. Make your way down to the trail that follows the creek with unobstructed views of Pikes Peak and then take any road back through the North End Historic area. Wood Street is pretty special. You'll be taking in a lot of Colorado College's spectacular grounds along the way.

10. Re: Visiting my children in Colorado Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 05:17